Money Raising Ideas

This is where staff will post news about events that are taking place.
RedEagle
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Money Raising Ideas

Post by RedEagle »

Stephen - For all your give, for all others need.... No one should feel guilty about using the resource here, though I understand as I've felt that too.
I'm not sure I'm up for running a physical marathon, but it means a lot we're here on emotional marathons together.
I will get on to touting the studio musicians who are 'bigger' than me quietly.... I will 'want' to do something back and it's such a small amount of money in reality to secure for such a big impact on others on this path.

I tend to think of donating as 'coffee and cake with a (often very late night) friend....
Lisa_Lisa
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Lisa_Lisa »

Just a thought following on from Stephen pointing out that we maybe don't want to out ourselves as child abuse survivors to do fundraising running marathons etc... but maybe we wouldn't mind after we're dead? Or some of us wouldn't at least? I know it's morbid but leaving a legacy is another fundraising method, could even raise quite significant funds, not an immediate fix... but perhaps something lots of us could do without embarrassment if there were easy instructions how?
I keep saying the same thing over and over in the hope of reaching an understanding that will lead to healing. Not because I'm stuck.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

To be coldly pragmatic, many Havocans are indeed in their twilight years, and it would be a lovely gift to leave something for a good cause, and if you're making your will, one thing in Havoca's favour is that it isn't just another faceless corporate charity (you know the type - they always have plush offices, deep pile carpets, £80k salaries and company cars, and use emotional blackmail on TV). Not to say there aren't good ones but I'm cynical. I've worked for several and been a client of several.

Another point is that your gift really could make all the difference. I am certainly going to leave something to H when I kick the bucket. I'm in my 40's though.

How indeed? Good question!
🦁W a s : a c t n o r m a l
I may (and often do) edit my replies in the permitted 1hr window.
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
ImageMember Of The Year 2020 | 🤗It’s not your fault🤗
Roserose
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Roserose »

Can I ask for a numerical figure that would be your blue sky, unbelievably comfortable amount to serve as your annual budget, Jamie?
RyteWrite
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by RyteWrite »

There's a free website online who needs funds every month to run. What they post every month is a running donation graphic where people who go there can see how much is needed each month and how much has been donated.

Maybe something like that would work here? With a note below it that states if you can donate not that you have to donate.

I do realize some people are severely strapped for money considering the toll abuse takes on all of our lives.

I am one of those with limited income and I find a way to give a small amount on automatic donate. I might be able to give more starting after November.
Grounding Techniques: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48093
My Healing Journey: viewtopic.php?t=42400
My Music Healing Journey: viewtopic.php?p=441250#p441250

Truth is like a lion. You don’t have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.
38YearsSilent
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by 38YearsSilent »

I’ll gladly give £2 / month, how do I send it / where do i send it to / is it possible to do anonymously?

The only person I know who could give great advice is my abuser, which would be funny if it wasn’t so awful. 😩
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi 38YearsSilent

Donations are normally through PayPal but I think you can arrange other methods.

Check back to the original post and hit "support us" to see a description of where sponsorship goes and a link to donate, or at the very bottom of the first post you can hit the donations link.

Let Jamie know if you've done it and he'll upgrade you to sponsor. :)

Stephen x
38YearsSilent
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by 38YearsSilent »

Thanks Stephen, I’ll do that.

I had another thought and I’m very new, so no idea whether this would work, but has anyone thought of publishing a collection of writings? As a designer I would be happy to put some time into collating stories / poems / whatever anonymous contributions people would like to make. Maybe the Truth Project would help with it… I’m really throwing out thoughts here without the research (I’m renowned for doing before thinking through so forgive me!)

I’ll keep thinking, but I’m happy to help if / where I can.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Jamie,
•Run a weekly podcast, publish it on Patreon.
•Publish regular written articles on Substack
•Integrate the donation request more visibly into the forum experience.
- Make it so new users can't miss it on signing up
- All email templates could mention sponsorship
- cf. Wikipedia's fundraising - donate/hide notice
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

🗻

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Here's an example of something from long before my Havocan Epoch. I mention it more to inspire members than as a suggestion for Jamie.
Carrie's Trek viewtopic.php?p=129619#p129619
Please note it's a past event. It's for inspiration, and I (strongly) do not suggest using the email address it mentions, which asks for sponsorship.

I hope it's OK to use this example, I understand from reading about her that Carrie has a place in the hearts of those who knew her. It feels right to choose her trek as an example.
Kylie72
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Kylie72 »

Can I ask how much additional funds would be needed per annum to break even thereabouts? (scratch that i've read the accounts now)

I can't run a marathon, but I can craft, I can beg and I am already out about my child abuse so am happy to talk about what Havoca has meant to me.

I'm thinking of maybe a virtual craft stall.... just an idea.

I don't think you want to go down the registered charity route, that has ball ache written all over it.

I think if we all put our heads together we can come up with something to help.
Last edited by Kylie72 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself.”

― Sara Henderson
Kylie72
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Kylie72 »

actnormal wrote:>
>
> •Related to the above, approach corporate charities like NAPAC and tell
> them Havoca needs funding
>
> •Run a GoFundMe campaign - publish the accounts you shared here, mention
> the number of users and list the various corporate charities who send
> people here.
>
> •Facebook advertising for donations

I agree very much with all these but especially the first.

Just yesterday I rang victim support and they signposted to Havoca.

I think it would be worth writing to the CEOs of all the major survivor/victim charities and ask for a donation. If they're prepared to signpost then a monetary gift is the least they can do.
“Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and light the bloody thing yourself.”

― Sara Henderson
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

[quote=Kylie72 post_id=385073 time=1631305882 user_id=5092]
actnormal wrote:>
>
> •Related to the above, approach corporate charities like NAPAC and tell
> them Havoca needs funding
>
[/quote] I really do believe something like this should happen, and cost to value wise it would be very worth these charities helping out, effectively helping Havoca help them.

As well as directly asking for help they may be receptive to some sort of co-operative fundraising?

[quote=Kylie72 post_id=385072 time=1631305486 user_id=5092]
I'm thinking of maybe a virtual craft stall.... just an idea.
[/quote] nice idea :)

Stephen x
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Does anyone else feel the same apprehension about asking these referring organisations for funding, as if it's a sensitive thing? I keep coming up against a sense that if someone were to approach one of them, it could risk backfiring and then that organisation might stop referring people altogether? I don't think this concern would necessarily hold to be true, but it would be important to consider how to approach them.

Here are some of the questions that come up for me..(with my own answers in parentheses)...
•Is there a right way to ask larger organisations? (Yes)
•What is it?
•Should Jamie have to do it all by himself? (No)
•Should service users of those charities play a role in fundraising when referred to smaller organisations? (Yes, in this case)
•If so, what is reasonable to ask?
•Could members be encouraged to also be an army of fundraisers, if willing?

It certainly isn't a clear cut issue and there are many ethical points to consider, including the fact that service users aren't likely to in the best frame of mind to think about fundraising when they are new clients/new members, and that many of the organisations involved aren't aware that the amount of funding they have isn't (yet) available to Havoca.

I don't think it has to be the minefield that it appears to be, though. There must be a way.
Kylie72
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Kylie72 »

Charity sector worker here (although not in the sector at the moment)

Organisations within the same space support each other financially all the time, it's standard practice.

If organisations like Victim Support, NAPAC, and others are referring to HAVOCA basically as they haven't got the bandwidth to provide that support it is entirely reasonable to ask them if they would like to make a donation, or provide support in other ways, completely normal UK charity practice. Or they may provide support in other ways.

So yes I think there is a sense of apprehension because its a big thing for a small organisation to do, but I do think it's appropriate.

I actually love the way Havoca works in that it's so grass roots you can smell the lawn, there isn't a fat cat CEO (and I've worked for several) and no one is doing this to get there OBE (charity sector is full of these people)

The other thing I've discussed with Jamie is survivor's supporters supporting HAVOCA. Often people who have been abused as a child have friends and family who want to help, so asking them to make a donation to HAVOCA is a way people can do this.

The thing is, people don't want to out themselves which is completely understandable, but maybe there's a way to increase the profile of HAVOCA without compromising people's safety.

― Sara Henderson

Return to “Announcements”