Spoilers in titles

Section for general notices concerning this forum.

I have read and understood the rules on spoilers

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 105

Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Spoilers in titles

Post by Jamie »

Just recently quite a few posts have included spoilers in the titles. The rules on using spoilers are clear:

Spoilers
All posts at HAVOCA have the potential to trigger - it is therefore requested you don't add 'trigger' to your title as this may detract from other posts that may be equally or more triggering than yours. It is up to an individual whether they are in a safe environment and we expect each member to make their own choice as to which section of the forum they read. Spoiling words with asterisks is also not encouraged.

If you have any questions or concerns then please just shout.
NinaEllie
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Spoilers in titles

Post by NinaEllie »

Thanks Jamie.

Apologies for doing that in my post. Hassle unintended.

Nina.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

No problem - quite a few people have started doing it, so it was easier for me to do this general post than contact people individually.
Kimberly, 4-18+
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Kimberly, 4-18+ »

Sorry, I'm the guilty party. I didn't know, but understand now
Wishful

Post by Wishful »

I'm sorry I missed this rule. Can someone point me there?
ReCreating

Post by ReCreating »

Thank you Jamie.
I may have inadvertently transgressed and shall revisit the rules in case.

PS - I voted no because I had to vote before I could see the rules
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

Rules are at the link at the top of the page that says 'rules' ;-)
ReCreating

Post by ReCreating »

I assume that you mean the following paragraph Jamie:

'All posts at HAVOCA have the potential to trigger - it is therefore requested you don't add 'trigger' to your title as this may detract from other posts that may be equally or more triggering than yours. It is up to an individual whether they are in a safe environment and we expect each member to make their own choice as to which section of the forum they read. Spoiling words with asterixs is also not encouraged.'

My understanding is that I should use discretion when choosing the title of the post and avoid words and phrases that may trigger people. There is no explicit definition of what constitutes trigger though.
Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

Ohhh

See I read that differently - I read that it means don't do this "warning trigger" or "trigger" or anything else that's similar in these " ..." Rather than take care not to use words that could trigger. So like .... Rape is just written as such rather than "trigger warning" rape .....

Always interesting how things can be viewed differently between people ... :)

I'm sure Jamie will clarify
john100
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by john100 »

It must be difficult running this place and Jamie deserves our support for his efforts.

I've long accepted that this is a place where strong themes, strong emotions and strong language can be expected. It took me longer to understand that this a place where the very anonymity allows us to express really difficult thoughts in the way that suits us at the time. It's brilliant that there is a place that we can do that, that sometimes we can be the adult-child that is in us ( I don't think that's only me). We can be free to express ourselves. That is priceless.

Thank you Jamie for that.
zepto

Post by zepto »

Sig and recreating, Sigmas interpretation is correct, though I can see how both can be inferred.

It's a difficult concept to explain and I'm not sure I can do better than Sigma.
But any post on this forum has the potential to trigger, therefore it's best not to try and highlight one as more likely than another. Rather, individuals using the forum accept that each and every post could be triggering for them.
pod

Post by pod »

'Triggers" cannot be defined because they are so different for different people. I personally struggle with some expressions of affection and emotion that people use here. But I cope quite well with some of the material that might be more likely to be identified as triggering. Each one of us can only reliably identify what would trigger ourselves, not everyone else. There would be very few words left indeed if we tried to avoid using all words that might trigger. And every post could be labelled as triggering, making the label meaningless.

And the whole point of this place is openness of expression, if we can't use graphic terms here, then where can we? It's one of the reasons why we have a process for aproving new members. Everyone here has, to some extent, stated that they understand the purpose of this forum. Everyone knows what they are getting involved with, and it's easy to avoid posts made in specific forums. So its not as if we are using these graphic terms in public. I agree that there should be trigger warnings in news items, etc, that are aimed at the general public.
ReCreating

Post by ReCreating »

Thanks, my understanding is then to not use the word 'trigger' in the title because it then distinguishes it from other posts and almost elevates it on some type of emotional scale.

The other part about using discretion is left as personal preference with a guideline around being sensitive towards the vulnerabilities of other members.

Jamie, I see that in my zealous quest for understanding I duplicated what you posted - apologies, and I appreciate your efforts. Thank you.
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

So Zep,

Just to make sure, what you're saying is that there is no expectation that we should tone down our titles?

Cheers
Littlelost1

Post by Littlelost1 »

Thanks Recreating, now I understand
I was actually kind of confused as I have not been on here for awhile
Matt

Return to “Notice Board”