[QUESTION] Would you like a Forum Digest?

Section for general notices concerning this forum.

Do you think a Forum Digest is a good feature to have on our Forums?

Yes and I would use it
35%
Yes but I wouldn't use it
18%
No
35%
Not sure
12%

Total votes: 17

Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

[QUESTION] Would you like a Forum Digest?

Post by Jamie »

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a Forum Digest that gives members the option to receive an email with the latest posts.

Heres a description from the extension I would look to implement:
phpBB does not provide the ability to send regular emails to users with summarized postings on a board. Instead, phpBB expects that users will visit the phpBB board regularly if they want to keep up with what is going on at the site.

phpBB Digests are emails sent to users periodically with summary of postings made on the board for discrete time periods. Digests makes some phpBB board users’ lives easier. They don’t have to explicitly visit the site to see what conversations are going on around there. They just read their digest and if there is some topic that seems of interest, they click on the topic link in their email program and start participating! They can unsubscribe at any time. By default, weekly digests are sent on Sundays. The users determines the hour they want to receive the digest. Whatever time they choose, they will always get the latest news so they can pick a time that suits their lifestyle.

Digests can be daily, weekly or monthly. Posts older than this will not be sent in a digest. In addition, if you want you can elect not to see posts since you last logged in, if you visited recently. You can even filter out your own posts.
Can you indicate via the poll (or comment below) if you would find this feature useful?
Iridescent Forest
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: [QUESTION] Would you like a Forum Digest?

Post by Iridescent Forest »

While I find this an interesting concept, I'm not certain if I would end up using it. I often just go to the quick links and go to unanswered section just to make sure everyone gets a response and doesn't feel unheard, but I am limited on energy and often just search through the forum as I feel I have energy to respond. My guess is other people might have different feelings though.

Shalev
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Forgive me for going off topic but it's lovely that you keep an eye on unanswered topics. I encourage this.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I wouldn't use it Jamie. What's wrong with what we have already with the New Posts? I guess it doesn't show unanswered threads. Seems like just more reading involved...praps I'm just lazy! :wink:

x
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I don't think a digest would be easier or more usable for Havocans. Those seeking reference, students, professionals, medical and science community who are on the site as guests would probably find such a thing handy.

We already have full access to the posts and titles and can view them in many different ways, and already have the option to remain hidden online if we wish to view from a distance.

Would having a digest make Havoca more appealing for the well intended and intellectual others? Would that then benefit Havoca in some way? Or is it just hassle and cost....?

Stephen
G&S
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by G&S »

Although it sounds like a nice idea I actually don’t think I would use it much.

If there is something I have missed I just look on the new posts and anything I want to be kept updated with I subscribe to anyway.

I also look at the unread posts and check to see if there’s anybody who hasn’t had a reasonable response so they don’t feel left out .

At the moment I have a lot of time on my hands but when I go back to work I think to be honest I will still just check on the new posts I don’t seem to miss much that way.

Thanks very much for the thought though!
Symphony
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

I wonder if actually asking existing members the questions is the wrong approach. What I mean is, would a digest encourage people who arent regular visitors to stay in touch more?

Also worth noting that you can opt out of the digest, so you don't receive unwanted emails.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

:D Yes.
G&S
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by G&S »

Yes to that !
Liz

Post by Liz »

Jamie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:34 am I wonder if actually asking existing members the questions is the wrong approach. What I mean is, would a digest encourage people who arent regular visitors to stay in touch more?

Also worth noting that you can opt out of the digest, so you don't receive unwanted emails.
Receiving emails may be for some folk a step too far if those they live with don't know about their past. Having to possibly explain what HAVOCA is may not be the best way forward for them.

And would a digest encourage ppl who aren't regular visitors - you're asking the wrong ppl here Jamie - possibly...

What does staying in touch mean for these folk? For anyone here? Is a digest of up to date info and details of threads being talked about going to encourage ppl to visit more often? I wonder if ppl come and visit when something in their lives means they need a place to talk about it as opposed to something here which draws ppl in....Perhaps it can work both ways in that you see something that interests you now and want to engage with it now...

You know me...just thinking aloud really,

x
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Why not send an Admin email with this proposal to those who have not opted out of receiving such communication, inviting all 13000 to comment or vote on it?

I can think of two reasons why not, but this is one example of what Admin communication is meant for.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

actnormal wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:41 pm Why not send an Admin email with this proposal to those who have not opted out of receiving such communication, inviting all 13000 to comment or vote on it?

I can think of two reasons why not, but this is one example of what Admin communication is meant for.
Good idea, I'll do that.

Return to “Notice Board”