Poll - Age during abuse

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

Please tick all the ages that apply to you

You may select up to 11 options

View results

butterflygirl
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Poll - Age during abuse

Post by butterflygirl »

I was abused from the age of 4 (i think). As for when it ended i'm not sure. Was in an abusive relationship from the age of 22 for 10 years and then raped by a ''friend' when i was 35. To this day i continue to abuse myself.

Butterflygirl
theverylastdrop

Post by theverylastdrop »

5 Years sexually abused by group of strangers.

5-18 onwards Neglect, emotional, physical, psychological abuse by both parents.

I don't remember 0-4, so don't know anything about this period.
Where the river takes me will in time be revealed
follyfoot
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by follyfoot »

I can't remember a time when i was not being abused, have generally reckoned on about 4-5 though as we moved into the area where it happened when i was that age. I remember events and things that happened by holidays, christmas's and birthdays and can remember being raped at 6 and also have memories from before that time so i think its safe to say it started for me then. I did manage to more or less stop the abuse when i was about 15-16 by never being left alone with my abuser. I never told my parents what was happening so they were unaware of what i was going through for most of my childhood.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
Martin Luther King, Jr

Raka

Post by Raka »

It was at the age of 5, tht is what I can clearly remember. May have started earlier, but although emotionally loaded I can not be sure. I was also raped 18, this is what really felt like the straw that broke the camels back. Now almost 20 years later I am trying to resolve this and be me and not only be consumed by what these men did to me. No so easy...
tiana

Post by tiana »

I marked 13 to 17 and never told my mom.
DJ

Post by DJ »

I was born to a disfunctional, abusive home. My mother physically, mentally and emotionally abused us from the word go. I was sexually abused by a trusted family member at about 12. I never told anyone, didn't think I'd be believed, until 15 years later. My daughter was about 5 years old, when my abuser phoned me at home. I was terrified that I'd be forced into some sort of relationship with his family and that he would abuse my daughter. I told my husband - he asked what I had done to encourage the attention . . . Now almost 15 years later, my marriage is coming to an end (his choice, not mine). If I was stronger I would have left that day! It's sad to think that I have valued myself so little that I consider this relationship to be the only security that I have had in my life, and it wouldn't be ending if I had my way.
Vic A

Post by Vic A »

I may have been younger but only can think back that far .I have two small children now and that made me realise how small I actually was.
Gregor Rayne EUW

Post by Gregor Rayne EUW »

I've put from 5 to 12 as i remember some landmark dates and locations around then. struggling for exact detail, i could only remember 1 or 2 incidents at first description recently but then a few more crept into mind. Pretty disturbed to picture what else might be suppressed & horrified to think what if much happened to me before that age. I like to think nothing really did. I don't feel or recall that it did so kinda have to leave that sealed off there. But I don't know for a fact.
TerryE

Post by TerryE »

Was poisoned and hospitalized with pneumonia when six months old. (In Sydney at that time minimum temps at night never under 65F).
Teeth cleaned until we spat blood, beaten before I can remember, but know my nose was broken then as I have no memory of it happening. Last major violence was attacked lying in bed by brother (a very broken angry person) who tried to twist my head off. Tore muscles in neck chest and back. Just another day. Think he broke my nose again when was I was 22. Heard the crunch. Was already a mess. Shrugged it off. Home was a very complex mess at that time.

Return to “Poll of the Week”