Poll - Survivor Meetings

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

Would you go to a Survivors' Group

You may select 1 option

View results

Baby Noor
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Poll - Survivor Meetings

Post by Baby Noor »

Gosh, to answer for myself which I notice I didn't do (leaving me behind again, shocking :cry: ).

If there was a professional qualified counsellor and everyone was an absolute equal maybe. Otherwise no. Like Sigma said it's all opinions and I feel safe here.
Noor
X
whitelily

Post by whitelily »

I voted that I would go, but I think there would need to be a set of ground rules for people attending that they had to agree with before joining. I think there would also be a need for some kind of recognised training for volunteers facilitating the group - ideally a therapist or counsellor. I would be interested to know how groups run in the US, if its more common for them to be organised there. Also, I imagine that quite a bit of thought might need to be given to the focus of the meetings - would they be about coping skills? or how much time would be given to people to share their personal issues? or would some meetings just be activity based in a friendly or supportive environment?

I think there is a real need for more meetings, especially where I live and I'm very interested to learn more about the idea and would consider helping out in order to start something up.
SociallyAwkward

Post by SociallyAwkward »

I don't socialize well period. Takes me a bit to properly collect my thoughts together sometimes. I put maybe. only because I didn't want to give a flat no as an answer.

It could help me, but only if it were people from the forums that I go to. At least then there is a sense of familiarity and I'll actually know some of them already. It won't feel as awkward. That might be asking a bit much though. Considering everyone comes from different parts of the country ( and I am guessing some of you might be in Canada or the UK )
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

There's all kinds of focuses a group like that might have, and it would need to be clear which one it was - all the way from intensive focused feeling work (which would definitely need a highly skilled leader/therapist) through to a 'fellow travellers' social meet-up (which still might need some kind of guide?)....
Rosie-the-Riveter

Post by Rosie-the-Riveter »

Maybe. It would depend on the topic and on how much time it would take.

In a sense, this entire forum is an ongoing survivor meeting.
Tears of Night Sky
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Tears of Night Sky »

I have always considered this a kind of support group meeting. It not might function exactly the same way, but it fills many of the same needs -- a place to express oneself, a place to be heard, a place to seek advice, a place to communicate with others in similar situations, and a place to feel completely supported. Is that really a distinction from an in-real-life group meeting?
"Your paradise is something I've endured."
~I Don't Want to Be Here Anymore~
Wildhorse
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Wildhorse »

I would go to a survivor support group if it is well run, ie I went to some groups which were dominated by one or two individuals doing all the talking & would therefore say the groups were not well run.
Wildhorse
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Wildhorse »

i would love to meet other survivors in real life so I would attend n see how it goes .
RyteWrite
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by RyteWrite »

When I first started to remember there weren't any peer led survivor groups. The internet didn't exist in the current form yet. So another survivor and I started one.
Grounding Techniques: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48093
My Healing Journey: viewtopic.php?t=42400
My Music Healing Journey: viewtopic.php?p=441250#p441250

Truth is like a lion. You don’t have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.
EllieLucy

Post by EllieLucy »

Yes I would
Vic A

Post by Vic A »

I attended one every couple of months and found it really beneficial to meet others similar to me and to share some really deep stuff that I'd never shared about the abuse to anyone I felt really open with them because they got me .The group I attended really strengthened me
TerryE

Post by TerryE »

in Australia Blue Knot runs workshops. Book out very fast. The workshops are great but having coffee and lunch with others is one of the major benefits. Also the workshops will let the group direct some things at times.

Return to “Poll of the Week”