Research Participants Needed

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Research Participants Needed

Post by Jamie »

Studying the long-term psychological effects of emotional abuse experienced in childhood.

Thank you for considering taking part in this study.

I am a postgraduate research student currently studying for a PhD with the Centre for Applied Psychological Research at the University of Huddersfield. As part of my studies I am carrying out this research project entitled: Studying the long-term psychological effects of emotional abuse experienced in childhood.

What is the point of this research?
The aim of this research is to better understand some of the long-term issues related to the experience of abuse in childhood, particularly in relation to emotional abuse. This research also aims to develop a deeper understanding of the coping strategies employed by both children and adults and examine the effectiveness of these coping strategies. However, one of the most important aims of this research is to raise public awareness of the damaging psychological effects of emotional abuse and hopefully raise awareness of some of the signs to look out for in an emotionally abused child so that more sufferers can be identified and protected.

What should I expect?
Whatever your childhood experiences involved, whether you suffered any form of abuse as a child or you had a happy, carefree childhood, your voluntary participation in this research would be greatly appreciated. However, I would like to emphasis that the decision whether or not you take part in this study should be entirely your own.

I would also like to make clear that some of the questions you will be asked are of a sensitive nature and have the potential to be quite upsetting. For this reason, I would ask that you only take part in this study if you are over 18 years of age. Before you decide to take part, it is important that you are aware that questions will be asked regarding your personal childhood experiences (e.g. Did a parent or other member of your household regularly put you down, humiliate or insult you?, To the best of your knowledge was there a member of your household who was depressed or mentally ill?, Were you ever punished for something that wasn't your fault?), personal adult experiences (e.g. As an adult, do you find it hard to say no to sexual advances?, Have you ever suffered a mental health issue in adulthood?, Are you aware of any coping strategies you use as an adult?), and current personal feelings related to health, satisfaction with life, confidence, etc.

However, it is also important to note that you do not need to disclose any details that you are not comfortable with in order to take part in this study. Any details that you do wish to disclose will be done so with complete anonymity and kept fully confidential.

What do I need to do?
If you choose to take part in this study, your participation will involve first confirming that you give your consent and then following the simple instructions. You will be directed to the online questionnaire which you will complete and submit anonymously. All responses will be completely anonymous, even to the researcher. Any information collected from you during this stage of the study will remain password protected and will not be identifiable as you. Some of your responses and/or quotes from your answers may be used in the final report or publications but again, none of these responses will be identifiable as you. In order to ensure your full anonymity, you will not be required to provide any personally identifying information. However, once you have reached the end of this survey, you will be asked whether or not you would be willing to partake in the second stage of this study which would involve being interviewed by the researcher. Again, this is completely voluntary and the decision to partake should be entirely yours. If you do wish to participate in the interview stage you will be asked for your contact details so the researcher can contact you to discuss this. If you do not wish to take part in the second stage of this study then please DO NOT provide your contact details, this will ensure your survey responses remain anonymous.

Can I change my mind?
This research follows ethical guidelines given by the Division of Psychology at the University of Huddersfield. You will remain anonymous in my research and you can choose not to take part in this study up until the point of submission. Due to the process involved in keeping your anonymity and confidentiality, you will be unable to withdraw your data from the study following the submission of your questionnaire, this is because it will be impossible to identify your specific data in order to remove it. You will also have the right to refuse to answer any questions which you are uncomfortable with by simply skipping past it.

If you are willing to participate in my research, the next step is to complete the consent form on the following page. If you have any questions or queries regarding this research then please do not hesitate to contact me, the researcher (claira.newton@hud.ac.uk) or the research supervisor Dr Helen Gavin (h.gavin@hud.ac.uk).

To take part follow this link.....
zepto

Re: Research Participants Needed

Post by zepto »

Hi, just a thought. It might be nice if you could include havoca in the support contacts at the end?
brad44

Post by brad44 »

I agree with that. There's more support for us here than at NAPAC
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback - please email the suggestions directly to the researcher, as they arent members here so won't be able to see your replies.

Thanks

Jamie

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”