Therapeutic needs of male partners of women survivors

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Therapeutic needs of male partners of women survivors

Post by Jamie »

Hi, I am Tonya Thomas, a doctoral candidate in the Couple and Family Therapy program at Alliant International University currently completing my dissertation under the supervision of Dr. Alba Nino.

I am conducting a study about the therapeutic needs of male partners of women who are survivors of childhood sexual abuse. Participants in this study will be asked to share information about their experiences while in couple’s therapy with the survivor of childhood sexual abuse. The title of my dissertation is Phenomenological Study on the Experiences of Conjoint Therapy of Male Partners of Female Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse.

I am doing a qualitative study in which I explore the therapeutic experiences of partners when in couples’ therapy with their intimate partner who is or was a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I am reaching out to you and/or your organization in hopes that you can forward this to anyone who may fit the criteria and thought interested in participating in this research study. Also, if you would please share this study with others in your community, church, and organizations, I would appreciate it.
Inclusion criteria for participation in the research study are:

 Individual males who have previously been in or are currently in a committed (self-defined) intimate relationship with a female survivor of childhood sexual abuse.
 The female survivor will have experienced childhood sexual abuse prior to the age of 16 with someone five or more years older than she was at the time, and the sexual abuse was coerced or forced.
 Both the male partner and the female survivor were at least 18 years old at the beginning of their intimate relationship, and have currently been in (or was in) the relationship for a minimum of two years.
 Both the male partner and the female survivor must have attended couples’ therapy for a minimum of one session where the primary focus was related either to the female survivor’s childhood sexual abuse, or the male partner’s experience of being in relationship with a female survivor of childhood sexual abuse.
 Those who meet the above criteria and their primary language is English. Those who reside outside the United States, pending IRB approval to do research in that country.

Participants who meet criteria, will either be interviewed by me in person at a place mutually agreed upon, or virtually via Skype. Participants in this study will also be reimbursed with a $20 visa gift card in gratitude for their participation in this study. Interested participants may contact me at: (714) 881-9447 or tthomas1@alliant.edu

Thank you for your consideration in sharing this opportunity.
Sincerely,
Tonya Thomas, M.S. Friends University
Doctoral Student of Alliant International University-Irvine, California
Dr. Alba Nino
Assistant Professor of Alliant International University
freddy

Re: Therapeutic needs of male partners of women survivors

Post by freddy »

Glad somebody is doing some research in this area but we haven't attended couples therapy so don't meet the criteria. I would imagine couples therapy is probably someway down the line for a lot of people since a survivor starting to disclose has a lot to work through without worrying about how its affecting the relationship. I would hope that most partners would give a bit of space.

freddy

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”