Experience victims of sexual assault have had in the criminal justice system

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Emma H
Approved Researcher
Approved Researcher

Experience victims of sexual assault have had in the criminal justice system

Post by Emma H »

Hi,
Thank you for taking time to read this post. I am currently a Forensic Psychology Masters student at the University of Winchester, and I am conducting research with the aim of finding out what sort of experience victims of sexual assault have had in the criminal justice system. If you wish to participate please take the time to read through the Participant information sheet and the online consent form. If after doing this you still wish to participate please comment on this thread with the following:

• What sort of experience do sexual assault victims have in the criminal justice system?

• What aspects of the criminal justice system do victims find most difficult?

• What would victims change about their experience of the criminal justice system?
Participant information sheet PDF.pdf
Consent form online.pdf
Other than this initial post, I will not be taking an active part in the forum thread, but only monitoring and analysing posts that are made.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me or my supervisor on the contact details given in the participant information sheet.
Many thanks.

Emma Hayhoe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superherolearnstofly

Re: Experience victims of sexual assault have had in the criminal justice system

Post by superherolearnstofly »

Hi Emma,

Having had a very negative experience of reporting SA to the criminal justice system I am happy to share my experiences.

The SA I reported took place in adulthood - am I still able to participate?

Thanks,

Superhero.
GEA

Re: Experience victims of sexual assault have had in the criminal justice system

Post by GEA »

Hi
I’d be happy to help
Time is precious

Post by Time is precious »

Im willing to help, i have experience of the cjs with three different cases all with different circumstances, two delt with one detective and one with another, all having different and also some similarities. And the vary from age range.

The first was in 2006, I was 12, apart from giving a video statement which was up to myself to speak or not, I had NO involvement in any aspects of the case, even when they were doing the physical exam, and i asked them to stop, they didnt listen, and then nothing, i kept asking my mum what was happening, she changed the subject or walked away, so when I eventually found out recently that my mum (it was one of her family member) had gone to the detective and stated I was lying that i had agreed to sleep with him and to drop the case I was more than annoyed to know that if that dective had asked me, I would have told otherwise, as well 1) at the time i was questioning my sexuality and was with a girl and 2) i was asleep , but because they made an assumption that they would only let my mum know about what was going on It has taken 12 years to find out the truth.

The next was in 2012, the dective from the above case delt with it, he already didnt like me, made it clear when he spoke to me, opening line “oh its you again, what fairytale are we going to hear this time”. It didnt even get past the police station reporting, he said I was just trying to get a reaction from a friend by text.
I tried to get them to listen to me. I told them, he was my ex, still had a key, and new that I was on new medication, this medication had a seditive side effect which didnt agree with me, and i was there in my head but not in control of my body (dead weight basically), he broke in, raped me, i eventually came to fully, and ran out the house, they said to me, “well your talking to us fine now so it cant be that strong” “he was your boyfriend so, did you say no?” I replied he was my ex “well did you verbally say no when it was happening?” No i couldnt “well how was he suppose to know if you didnt tell him” and then they said they wasnt taking it any further and i was lucky to not be fined or worse for making a false report and wasting police time.

Third, cant really comment much at the moment, its still ongoing, but the police were horrid, asking me if i was mentally ill, if i had been drinking etc and then eventually taking the statement. Then arguing amongst themselves about taking me home, one was going to make me get the train (2:30am, i had just been assulted three streets away, the guy knew i didnt have money, that my phone was dead and had just had a siezure) eventually took me home. And at the moment the dective is only getting in touch when they need something thats it. And the last i heard from them was when they went to read my ss records over a month ago.

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”