Poll - Have you found therapy helpful?

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

Out of ten, how helpful have you found therapy in dealing with your childhood abuse?

You may select 1 option

View results

Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Poll - Have you found therapy helpful?

Post by Jamie »

Have you found therapy helpful?

If you haven't started therapy or would like to learn more please follow the links below:
HAVOCA - Therapy There are many and diverse schools of counselling and psychotherapy which tends to be confusing for the lay person. Whichever model a therapist has adopted the relationship between therapist and client is crucial and the key to change, growth and successful therapy. Affective therapy is a humanistic integrative model which emphasizes the observation of one's own feelings and reactions to others as a basis for understanding of the self whilst also using methods and aspects of various therapies.
Our Therapy Section will help you learn more about therapy and how it could help you.
seaweed
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Poll - Have you found therapy helpful?

Post by seaweed »

I couldn't have gotten through the last 3 years without therapy!!!! They don't tell you what to do, but help you work out what you want to do each step of the way.
As Mitzee said in Hollyoaks - Dont look in the rear view mirror....
nic*
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by nic* »

Me too - without therapy I thik id still be back before I knew it was ok to be me and feel safer. Its taught me the importance of self awareness, bounderies and self care.

Work in progress though!!!!

xX
Liz

Post by Liz »

A resounding YES!

i wouldnt have got this far without it. To have that time/space once a week working alongside someone who knows what they're talking about though who acts as a companion rather than someone who knows it all - being able to explore all manner of things in a safe and trusting environment has been priceless. My T has for the most part been a huge financial outlay but i'd gladly make and do make sacrifices elsewhere to continue with this precious therapeutic tool.

I know it doesnt work/suit everyone but i've found it a lifeline and would be way behind in my recovery without it.

Liz x
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin
Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

Oh ek

I read this and thought cripes !

But a good therapist or counsellor can help immensely. Yes counselling is starting to help. So I guess my very very reserved answer is yes

pixie x
dizzy412

Post by dizzy412 »

i would say a resounding yes. I have to admit counselling is not how i thought or imagined it would be, but i know it helps me no end, a chance to talk things through and thereby see whats needed, whats hurting, whats wanted.
One of the best things i have done in the last year.
So definitely yes.
Dizzy
hope

Post by hope »

Definetly Yes its helped clear my mind put things into perspective and given me a place to feel safe unloading memories and emotions i never knew i even had. I think i have definetly changed for the better because of counselling. I have grown and my outlook and optimism has also grown.

Hope x
Life doesn't require that we be the best, only that we try our best.
charlies angel
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by charlies angel »

To have somebody to listen - to hear me.

To validate things that I have never given credence to.

To acknowledge that things feel the way that they do

To say that it is okay - whatever it is.

To mirror thoughts, to discuss ideas, to understand.

Yes it is helpful - essential to help me to move forwards.. for so many years I have made my own decisions that things are the opposite of the above (when I actually knew they weren't) and to have someone help me to shift my stance - even if only a little - while I can re-adjust my equilibrium in order to take the next tentative step.

Luckily I have found someone who I trust - as much as I ever will anyone in this scenario - and who I click with. If I hadn't, I would imagine that it would probably do more harm than good.

So in a nusthell, yes I have found therapy helpful.

CA x
Dervish

Post by Dervish »

I've only just started in therapy - some 45yrs after I was first abused. I am only in therapy because a serious illness last year triggered flashbacks. So far - and it really is VERY early days - I can say this is one of the most difficult things I have done - painful and frightening - but I can already see that I am beginning to feel different. I trained as a mental health professional, and would never have imagined that I would be a service user, but here I am.
My initial contacts with the NHS were problematic, but the short course of counseling I received did help - even though it opened Pandora's Box. I am now working with a voluntary sector organisation, and I am overwhelmed by their kindness, understanding and by their fantastic professionalism. I have been given a clear model for monitoring my progress, and it has been made clear that I have plenty of opportunity for accessing information kept about me and for negotiating with staff about the interventions I want/need.
For the first time in my life I am beginning to think that I might have a future.
effie2
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by effie2 »

Yes eventually. I had some therapists that hadn't got a clue. My last one was brilliant and allowed me to work and think for myself. She introduced me to "Courage to Heal" which became my bible. I went on courses to learn counselling skills and through that realised how good she was. I will be forever grateful to her. effie2
Cocopop21
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Cocopop21 »

I think this is a really difficult one to answer because my feelings about it change so much. Therapy is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done, but it's also the biggest non-essential financial commitment I've ever made, and I guess I wouldn't keep spending the money if I didn't feel it was helping me. When something happens, like this evening I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while and she commented that I seem better than I've been in a long while, or earlier this week I found stuff that I'd written for my c a few months ago and couldn't take in, but have now discussed and feel better about... yeah, it's good. It's really good, and it's helped me a lot. But it is so bloody difficult. It's so much hard work and I often come out feeling absolutely awful. I guess it's also a positive thing that I've now developed new coping mechanisms that don't involve drinking a case of beer and chain-smoking an entire packet after a bad day, or a bad session...

So yes, it is helpful, but it's also a massive investment, financially, emotionally and in time. I wouldn't be where I am just now without it, but it's by no means an easy journey.

Coco x
To paraphrase several sages: Nobody can think and hit someone at the same time.― Susan Sontag
'You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something some time in your life'- Winston Churchill.

Return to “Poll of the Week”