Blog Update - Flashback Management

This is where staff will post news about events that are taking place.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Blog Update - Flashback Management

Post by Jamie »

Flashback Management
By Pete Walker

A significant percentage of adults who suffered ongoing abuse or neglect in childhood suffer from Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. One of the most difficult features of this type of PTSD is extreme susceptibility to painful emotional flashbacks. Emotional flashbacks are sudden and often prolonged regressions ('amygdala hijackings') to the frightening circumstances of childhood. They are typically experienced as intense and confusing episodes of fear and/or despair - or as sorrowful and/or enraged reactions to this fear and despair. Emotional flashbacks are especially painful because the inner critic typically overlays them with toxic shame, inhibiting the individual from seeking comfort and support, isolating him in an overwhelming and humiliating sense of defectiveness...
Stephen

Re: Blog Update - Flashback Management

Post by Stephen »

Very impressed, describes my experience with flashbacks and CPTSD accurately and good 13 step management at the end. I'll be using this, thankyou Jamie and Pete.
Lisa_Lisa
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Lisa_Lisa »

Really good to see a description of emotional flashbacks. My fleeing is more literal though, I've been trying to find out how common this is, the literally running away. I'm looking for something that explains this in a way that my other half can better understand. Psychoeducation is maybe also needed for friends and families of survivors. But I think I could maybe show some of this to try to explain it.
I keep saying the same thing over and over in the hope of reaching an understanding that will lead to healing. Not because I'm stuck.
Cwtch
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Cwtch »

Thank you so much.

“Emotional flashbacks are especially painful because the inner critic typically overlays them with toxic shame, inhibiting the individual from seeking comfort and support, isolating him in an overwhelming and humiliating sense of defectiveness...”

This is EXACTLY how I feel and I can feel it in my body too, the adrenaline response and fear.

Amazing stuff, thanks again!

Return to “Announcements”