Poll - Who was the first person you told?

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

The first person I told was a....

You may select up to 14 options

View results

Mumsis

Re: Poll - Who was the first person you told?

Post by Mumsis »

First person I told was my abuser. 20 years later.
RED_1
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by RED_1 »

i first told a neighbor when i was 14 yo. i made her promise not to tell anyone. she was the one who sent me to a youth psychologist. at about the same time i roughly told my former teacher at elementary school about the abuse. she was very understanding and talking to her really helped me a lot, although it was only about how i was currently doing. of course it never went into detail. but she knew about the psychologist and seemed really reassured and relieved that i was getting help and wasn't alone.... back to the neighbor: unfortunately, she left me hanging afterwards. at some point, she was apparently annoyed by my depressive phase and told me that i should finally get over it, that i hadn't really been raped, that he hadn't threatened me with a knife or anything. that was the point at which i completely withdrew into myself again and wished i had never opened my mouth. i broke off the therapy and buried everything. today i wish i had either not said anything at all or i would have told my teacher first.
I believe you.
TerryE

Post by TerryE »

Wife, and again a bit different to girlfriend, and it only came out when she was telling me how her father had yelled and belittled one of her brothers. She was quite upset and I said "that's nothing and described a small amount". She found it very hard to hear so I stopped. Was not until 40+ years later when I had an article done on me she "got it". Came home and she said, "I never knew". Funny thing was there was nothing in that article I had not at one time told her. Too painful to hear she blocked it out. Had to restrain her from going up the road and assaulting a 95 year old near bed bound woman.

Return to “Poll of the Week”