Money Raising Ideas

This is where staff will post news about events that are taking place.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Re: Money Raising Ideas

Post by Coeur de Lion »

I am reading and listening to various articles about a teacher, Kate Clanchy. She published a book of poems by her school pupils, and was later “cancelled” after a witch hunt about another book, because, for example, it referred to a child’s Ashkenazi nose.

I too happen to have an Ashkenazi nose and it doesn’t offend me when people describe it correctly. In fact it’s nice to hear people take an interest in my features.

“…has been a witch hunt without mercy”
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... hout-mercy

“My life’s work has been taken away”
https://unherd.com/thepost/kate-clanchy ... aken-away/

It would be nice to uncancel her and see her put a book of poems together for us. Then again she’s a professional author, so it would probably mean is kissing goodbye to any earnings from such a book!

I think I’m trying to stick two incompatible concepts together!

I still want to run with the idea of publishing an Havoca poetry book, somehow. I’m aware it needs skills that I don’t have, though.
🦁W a s : a c t n o r m a l
I may (and often do) edit my replies in the permitted 1hr window.
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
ImageMember Of The Year 2020 | 🤗It’s not your fault🤗
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

I’ve emailed the author I mentioned in my previous post:
In an email, actnormal wrote:Hello,
Firstly, I heard your interview with UnHerd and want you to know I hear what you say about the witch-hunt and I feel you (and your former pupils) have been treated awfully. Your former publisher are downright spineless.

I write to ask for your advice, though! I am considering getting a book put together; of poems; by members of an online community called Havoca (Help for Adult Victims of Child Abuse). It’s a fundraising idea. I am a moderator of the group and we have a busy forum website which has quite a lively buzz. In particular we have a section in the forums for sharing art and poetry. Some of our members have agreed to contribute pieces to such a book, but apart from having the basic idea I don’t know where to start.

Could you give me any suggestions of how to get started, any online or offline sources of support which might be useful to us? In a nutshell, how does one publish an anthology of poems and could one do it to raise money for a nonprofit?

One thing in particular that a member has asked me is that he retain the right to publish those poems he contributes. Is that sort of licensing easy to agree and arrange?

Another thing is whether to try and do it through a publisher or should we self publish?

I don’t want it to end up on the bottom shelf at The Works discount book & toy shops. Depressingly, many books by victims of abuse seem to end up there, though they are mostly autobiographies.

(So I’m not asking much then!!! 🤭😁)
Sorry - I’m aware it might be a bit of an imposition to expect you to advise, but I don’t know anyone personally who could do so.

Anything you can offer by way of advice will really help.

Thanks so much, in advance.

Sincerely
http://www.havoca.org/
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
l-j
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by l-j »

There’s lots of information available online about how to publish a book. Here’s a couple of sources to start but also Google ‘how to publish a book’ and ‘how to publish an anthology’ -

https://blog.reedsy.com/steps-for-putti ... anthology/

You might want to think about whether you’re inviting Kate Clanchy to edit/collate a collection as it reads like you’re asking her to do your research on publishing for you. A publisher might be a better place to ask your questions?

An author might reasonably want a fee for her work (whether she’s writing or editing) as it’s her profession/living or you’d probably need to ask very nicely and introduce HAVOCA’s vision/values properly to encourage them to get on board.

Also consider whether HAVOCA/Jamie is happy to be associated with or represented by a particular author or whether he’s happy with you acting on HAVOCA’s behalf? Kate Clanchy is great, I went to hear her read her book ‘Some Kids I Taught…’ a few years ago. But lots to think about before contacting anyone or you risk putting people’s backs up.

Big thing to think about with anything that’s going to sell is working out who your audience might be, what would appeal to them and why they might buy it. Maybe it would help to have some overarching narrative. e.g. the hero’s journey is a theme through much of literature - perhaps a collection of poems/art could chart a course through a journey to give hope to readers?

Wonder whether self-publishing might be a lot less hassle, but you’d still need to think about audience and how to market it etc if the main goal is raising money.
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

l-j wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:58 pm if the main goal is raising money.
I'm pretty sure poetry is the last genre to hope to make money from!

xx
yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

Volunteer positions where volunteers are sent items such as a money box, where they can collect money through donations or leave the money boxes at shops?

organize a raffle, the reward could be a voucher or item, participants can buy tickets and anyone can share the raffle with friends, family, local organizations - local charity shops ( such as mind, etc ) social media groups

Convert HAVOCA into a charity, still having the forums. But being a charity allows for government funding and many more options such as an online store to tell HAVOCA-themed items, books, and recovery tools, this could open the doors for many other things.

A sponsored event to raise money for havoca, users to share a post on social media and collect any willing donations from those who wish to support us. ( the event could be for example, 100 miles in 10 days, or a number of different levels depending upon capabilities.

( some charities are funded by central or local government. This funding can be given directly or through a funding body such as the Arts Council. Charities may also bid for contracts to provide public services (services that public authorities normally provide or commission themselves).

Grants from other charities and private organizations
Many organizations, such as the National Lottery Community Fund, provide funds or grants to charities. Search for grants using these links:

( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-funding ... -a-charity )

Contact influencers, celebrities, and anyone with a following who may support the cause - such as Tyson fury, etc.

Ive just realised there is already a store: and this may already be a charity
Tell yourself 3 things which you are grateful for, every time you read this!
:icescream: :computer: :toothy4:
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Thanks for those pointers, l-j.
Got a reply 😎 which is very nice of her.
Kate Clanchy wrote: Hello ********
I'm guessing that you have 2 audiences for your fundraiser
your known close community of writers and their friends and family. They will want a nice looking book of poems to treasure
the wider public who might contribute/be interested in the cause/be taken by the poems. They are probably easiest to reach online with a kindle.
When I had a similar problem, with the anthology Unmute, I published two books, one on kindle with Amazon, and one print edition which I just circulated. It all worked very well. Selling the print books was quite a lot of work - sending off envelopes etc, but the kindle was very easy. The print book didn't have an ISBN or anything - it was just a book. I just used microsoft word Publisher, made a PDF , and sent off to Mixam Print who are very cheap and very good. We've made more than £7000 so far. There are plenty of freelancers who will put your manuscript together for kindle if it seems very daunting and will probably do your print edition too, or you might find someone in your community. Another idea might be to start with a kindle, and if it goes well, print up.
Hope that helps.
Kate
l-j
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by l-j »

Very nice of her :)
KathrynT
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by KathrynT »

If there was a physical book I'd be happy to sell it and promote it in Northamptonshire.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

A book of poems doesn’t look like it’s worth pursuing; but…

Post by Coeur de Lion »

I’ve been doing research into publishing a book of poems and there’s a lot to know that I don’t (yet?) know but what I have found is consistent with ashridge_mack’s comment and I feel that it likely wouldn’t be a money maker. It would have to be a self published thing, typeset, edited, paid for and pushed into shops on an individual basis. I just don’t have the resources for that!

It would have been a nice thing if it could work. If someone thinks it can work, shout! The above email mentions e-publishing. This would probably be more of a realistic way, if such a book is viable at all.

However, I found this. It’s about communicating effectively. I wonder if it might help for writing emails requesting donations? https://influence.robashton.com/
Rob Ashton is a guest on today’s episode of the Michael Shermer show.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I am going to throw out some ideas, I don't know everything you currently do, so apologies if i am stating things you already do.

Some kind of app thats either super cheap or has ads running to generate revenue
Provide a newsletter working on some subscription based model
Some kind of youtube channel that runs ads, but you can refer people to giving some levels of basic information or coping strategies
Some kind of community events, literally no idea what kind of thing
Get the attention of an awesome celebrity like the rock and get him to fundraise, and then get me an autograph from the rock XD

I can say speaking from experience, if you have a youtube channel and it just exists you can generate cash off it even if its way later, as videos will come up more and more in searches the more popular it comes.
Embers
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Embers »

Raziel wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 pm I am going to throw out some ideas, I don't know everything you currently do, so apologies if i am stating things you already do.

Some kind of app thats either super cheap or has ads running to generate revenue
Provide a newsletter working on some subscription based model
Some kind of youtube channel that runs ads, but you can refer people to giving some levels of basic information or coping strategies
Some kind of community events, literally no idea what kind of thing
Get the attention of an awesome celebrity like the rock and get him to fundraise, and then get me an autograph from the rock XD

I can say speaking from experience, if you have a youtube channel and it just exists you can generate cash off it even if its way later, as videos will come up more and more in searches the more popular it comes.
An app would be good !
'Doing the work to heal, to manage CPTSD and to be a stronger me. '
They smothered my fire but the embers still burn.
🌈
Pmarsupial
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Pmarsupial »

Maybe a kindle book would work, but not poems or just some poems. Would the forum format translate to a self help book form? . There are themes that come up again and again.
The question could be posed and then answered. All anomous.
"I'm worried that I'm overreacting to the events in my childhood. What happened to me was so much less than other people have had to endure." It could almost be written within the forum with people replying to made up questions as if they were real.
DIY is apparently my Kryptonite.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Pmarsupial wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:43 pm Maybe a kindle book would work, but not poems or just some poems. Would the forum format translate to a self help book form? . There are themes that come up again and again.
The question could be posed and then answered. All anomous.
"I'm worried that I'm overreacting to the events in my childhood. What happened to me was so much less than other people have had to endure." It could almost be written within the forum with people replying to made up questions as if they were real.
I did consider the book idea, however as I assume most people aren't qualified here to give advice, we are in the realms of what dictates good advice, There's a forum post by Jamie which says we have to use our own discretion. If someone is in a qualified position and is willing to volunteer to check to see things being written are all ok and won't have negative repercussions I think this idea would be brilliant.

The news letter might be a way to push it forward. Actually you could run the basic newsletter and a premium newsletter with links to useful articles or something I dunno, we've all seen how papers etc do it.
Kanaya
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Kanaya »

Hi I have monetary issues at present but once get settled I can donate but was thinking of for new people joining adding a short description of history and introduction of a sliding scale donation /sponsorship to ensure the upkeep and running of the site or an online leaflet drop( bullet point information on what site does to help survivors integrate in a safe place and I'm sure a lot of people can be sold on fact it is volunteer non profit , for anonymous donations, as more visibility also some people may not feel ready to join but maybe knew someone who was abused and can make a secret donation , or an online art gallery / poetry slam ( even spoken word video but does not have to show face I like the privacy of it as it is that my biggest thing with havoca ,or writing a few emails to a few famous people ones who have endured abuse and are open about it for them to consider a donation ,I understand the private nature of the site , t-shirt ,hoodie prints with positive designs and with havoca in small print ,even if a celebrity can wear a havoca design it gets people directing to the site , also for those who are out with their story to start a u tube or such and do casts on various methods on the healing process and whys ,ifs ,don't , do,how,etc I think all of these have been suggested before
Stop living in fear and start living in love with yourself
pondbug
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by pondbug »

paypal are running sponsorship for small charities , the charity ask , the charity tell us, we all vote , the winner get told by paypal if they get enough votes , then paypal matches our funds we raise.

Return to “Announcements”