Test the Crime Survey for England and Wales’ questions for adults who have experienced abuse during childhood

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Test the Crime Survey for England and Wales’ questions for adults who have experienced abuse during childhood

Post by Jamie »

Please help us test the Crime Survey for
England and Wales’ questions for adults who
have experienced abuse during childhood

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics and
the recognised national statistics institute (www.ons.gov.uk). We conduct the Crime Survey
for England and Wales (CSEW) which produces widely used statistics on levels of crime,
including those not reported to the police (www.crimesurvey.co.uk).
We are looking for adult volunteers who have experienced abuse during childhood to
take part in research to help us explore whether questions are appropriate. We’d like to
hear your views on the questions in the survey and how they are phrased.

Why help us?
Your feedback will be invaluable. Testing these questions is essential for us to
understand how effectively they collect data, potentially improve the questions and, in turn,
provide robust estimates of crime that can inform policy. It will also help us explore how the
questions are perceived and how people think and feel about answering them.
We will give you a £50 e-voucher as a thank you for your time.

What will the research involve?
The research will involve taking part in a face-to-face interview with an ONS
researcher. This would take place at a convenient time for you in a mutually agreed private
and safe location. It will take around 90 minutes.
During the research session, you will be asked to look at, and provide answers to, the
survey questions. The interviewer will then ask you questions covering your past
experiences, your thoughts on the questions, how you understand the questions, and if you
think any improvements could be made to the questions. You do not have to discuss any
details of your experiences that you are not comfortable disclosing.
The interviews will be recorded, with your permission, and a second researcher will be
present to assist with notetaking if you are comfortable with this.
The interviewing period will start from around 12th September and continue for
approximately 4-6 weeks.

How will we look after your data and protect your identity?
Your personal information and everything discussed during the interview will be kept strictly
confidential (see below for information on our duty to safeguard you). This includes giving
you a pseudonym, so your personal details are not attached to your interview recording or
interview notes. It also includes storing interview recordings and notes securely where they
can only be accessed by the small research team involved in this project.
We may publish a report detailing the findings of this research and that report may use
direct quotes gathered from interviews. However, will we not publish any information or
quotes that could be used to identify a person who has taken part. You may withdraw your
information provided prior to analysis. All information collected will be deleted on completion
of the project.

How will we support you during the research?
Your wellbeing is extremely important to us. It’s possible that discussing some
questions which are personal and sensitive may be upsetting or cause recall of traumatic
experiences. You will have the option of selecting the sex of your interviewer and choosing
your preferred interview location and mode from different options. We would also welcome
any other preferences you may have and will look to implement them where possible.
You will not have to answer any questions that you do not want to. You will be able to
take breaks, pause or stop the interview at any time.
We have a duty to safeguard you. Please note that during the interview if you say
anything, or if anything happens that causes the researcher to believe that you, a child, or
children are at current and immediate risk of harm, abuse, or neglect, they will need to pass
this information on, including your name and what you have told them, to the organisation
that had recruited you and an ONS safeguarding contact. They will then decide on the
appropriate action to take which could involve liaising with police and/or Local Authority.
This will occur even if you decide to withdraw from the interview.

What do you need to do next?
If you are interested in taking part, please email TakePart@ons.gov.uk. Please let us know how we should
contact you safely. We want to include a range of experiences and characteristics, so we
will ask you to fill in a questionnaire. Then we will contact you again to let you know if you
are eligible for the research, and to arrange an interview if you are.
Stephen

Re: Test the Crime Survey for England and Wales’ questions for adults who have experienced abuse during childhood

Post by Stephen »

Intrigued by this one. Made contact......
Jenny198619

Re: Test the Crime Survey for England and Wales’ questions for adults who have experienced abuse during childhood

Post by Jenny198619 »

Me too....
Jenny198619

Post by Jenny198619 »

Just an update, I've got my online interview on the 24th October.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Thanks for sharing this Jamie
🦁W a s : a c t n o r m a l
I may (and often do) edit my replies in the permitted 1hr window.
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
ImageMember Of The Year 2020 | 🤗It’s not your fault🤗
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Jenny198619 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:24 pm Just an update, I've got my online interview on the 24th October.
Hope it goes well.

Stephen x
Jenny198619

Post by Jenny198619 »

It should be ok. I can talk about my abuse openly now without much issue. Thanks Ste xx
Jenny198619

Post by Jenny198619 »

Had the interview today. It was really simple. They recorded video of me and my voice. It was mostly me telling them what I thought of the questions asked and the multi option responses they had. Basic questions like age when the abuse started and ended, who it was, who did I tell at the time, who have I told since, nothing in great detail. They mainly wanted honest feedback on the questions and answers. It went really well and they were very respectable. I would do it again.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Glad it wasn't too triggering, shame they couldn't fit me in aswell.

Stephen x

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”