Survey Update

This is where staff will post news about events that are taking place.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Survey Update

Post by Jamie »

Survivors' Survey Results can be found here.

So far, 14,775 questionnaires have been completed.

Is there anything that stands out for you? Comment below.
Embers
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Survey Update

Post by Embers »

69% were taken to court yet not convicted. :-(
'Doing the work to heal, to manage CPTSD and to be a stronger me. '
They smothered my fire but the embers still burn.
🌈
Elliecloud
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Elliecloud »

It's all horribly shocking, but that parents are the main abusers is harrowing 😔
Elliecloud x
(was Rachelle 2015-2020)

Only in growth, reform and change, paradoxically enough, is true security to be found.
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

Another thing I was really struck by is that mothers were an abuser almost as much as fathers!

Really surprised by that (but not surprised, too!).

I wonder if that would vary across the different types of abuse or not?
Lisa_Lisa
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Lisa_Lisa »

I was struck by that too AM. Also that the 4 types of abuse, sexual, physical, emotional and psychological, were fairly equally represented.
I keep saying the same thing over and over in the hope of reaching an understanding that will lead to healing. Not because I'm stuck.
Tiontu
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Tiontu »

I keep coming back to the last part of this on effects suffered. The rates of eating disorders, self harm, suicidal tendencies is astonishing
And both depression and anxiety seem pretty universal issues for survivors. Makes me wonder how many of us find themselves in the mental health system with professionals who are oblivious what is really behind these hideous effects
Survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

Wishing everyone deep, peaceful, safe and restorative sleep tonight. Especially if this is something you struggle with like me
ogami_itto
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ogami_itto »

The results of the benefits of therapy are quite surprising. It seems to show that there is difficulty in finding a good therapist or treatment. As each person is an individual and reacts differently the importance of good therapy and support are highly important for recovery. It is sad that most abusers are in the home as when this place becomes unsafe it makes the world are scarier place from a young age. Let us hope that mental health care and awareness improve as it is often impacted at the key stages of development. We all know that the effects last long into adult life and this is still not taken too seriously by governments across the world.
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

Lisa_Lisa wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:34 am I was struck by that too AM. Also that the 4 types of abuse, sexual, physical, emotional and psychological, were fairly equally represented.
I suspect (but have no evidence for it) that this might have a lot to do with a lot of people checking more than one, ie 2,3, or 4 types. I, for instance, who have spent probably the considerable majority of my healing dealing with sexual abuse, also felt like I should truthfully check emotional (bullying, denial) and physical (attempted murder, some non-sexual cruelty by my mum but also the pain involved in the sexual stuff) - even though far and away my main focus has been on sexual.

Tbh I could easily have also checked psychological but didn't, only as I have no idea how this is meant to be different to emotional abuse...?

So maybe they're so even cause there's so much overlap between them that many people check quite a few of them...? Maybe, Jamie, you could break that down, how many people checked 2,3, or 4 types??

xxxx
Lisa_Lisa
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Lisa_Lisa »

I've noticed a similar thing AM. There have been patches of little to nothing going on over on the physical abuse forum whereas the sexual abuse forum is seemingly never quiet. I realised, where people experienced sexual abuse and physical abuse (and/or emotional/psychological) they tended to "deal with" the sexual abuse part first, or need community validation/support most strongly for that part. I imagine the same is true of emotional/psychological, when it is a part of other forms of abuse - those forums are often quiet too. But I think it's just because they're often not the "primary" form. I wonder if knowing each person's "primary" form of abuse would have been helpful.
I keep saying the same thing over and over in the hope of reaching an understanding that will lead to healing. Not because I'm stuck.
DIVINE
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by DIVINE »

Looked at the stats here and other stats...yes...sa is dominant....maybe people think physical, psychological, emotional abuse is not so bad?
Elliecloud
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Elliecloud »

Interesting... I would say any type of childhood abuse is damaging. In fact, speaking personally, I may even go so far as to say that the neglect and psychological abuse in my childhood have possibly caused me more anguish than the physical and sexual abuse.
Elliecloud x
(was Rachelle 2015-2020)

Only in growth, reform and change, paradoxically enough, is true security to be found.
DIVINE
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by DIVINE »

Agree (((Ellecloud)))
ashridge_mack
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ashridge_mack »

Personally I think they're all completely intertwined - certainly as far as sexual abuse is concerned. Which, imo, can't take place without emotional abuse to ensure compliance and absolve the abuser of guilt in their own mind, as well as physical abuse - also to ensure compliance, and because the sexual abuse is actually also physical abuse (in the sense of causing pain and damage) in many cases anyway.

I'm only not mentioning psychological abuse because, to me, it's indistinguishable from emotional abuse.

xxxx
Lisa_Lisa
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Lisa_Lisa »

I think I see the difference between emotional and psychological abuse. And I think I definitely had both.

I think gaslighting is a type of psychological abuse, because it distorts what you believe to be true.

I think neglect, not stepping up to caregiver duties etc, that's emotional abuse, because the child becomes emotionally deprived.

I think both types are probably part of everyone's experience on here.
Madfraggle
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Madfraggle »

Embers wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:09 am 69% were taken to court yet not convicted. :-(
And 57% of those who reported it were not taken seriously :-(
I'm exhausted from trying to be stronger than I feel

Very grateful for this safe space

You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.

Return to “Announcements”