Perspectives of Child Abuse Survivors: Then and Now

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Perspectives of Child Abuse Survivors: Then and Now

Post by Jamie »

Morgan wrote:Hello,
My name is Morgan Waldron, I am in my second year studying my master’s in forensic psychology with Coventry University and I am currently working on my dissertation.
I am looking for 5 to 10 individuals above the age of 18 to volunteer their time to take part in some research for my dissertation. The title is Perspectives of Child Abuse Survivors: Then and Now. Within this research I want to encompass survivor’s perspectives on their childhood and their adulthood, and who better to find this from than survivors themselves. If you require more information please feel free to contact me using the email address below.
We want to conduct this research as existing studies examining adult outcomes of child maltreatment are few (Colman & Widom, 2004). However, there is a growing amount of literature with substantial evidence showing that exposure to trauma during childhood has long term impacts (Spataro et al., 2004). Studies on child abuse have been linked to negative health outcomes in adults, however, this research fails to control for other factors such as family and childhood characteristics, both of which are potential influences (Springer et al., 2007).
By taking part you are equipping future readers and researchers the knowledge and understanding of child abuse survivors own personal perspectives on themselves through focus on social relationships, childhood characteristics, and other relevant factors. This also allows researchers to get a first-hand insight into the way in which adult survivors feel they have been affected long-term. We feel this research is extremely important due to the lack of existing research on survivors’ perspectives on their childhood and adulthood.
The one risk associated with taking part is that we are talking about the past which can be an extremely sensitive topic. However, you are reminded throughout that you do not have to disclose any information you do not wish to and will be signposted to a range of support services should you need it.
This study will commence March 2023 and will be completed on the day of the dissertation submission which will be in November 2023.
If you wish to participate you will be asked to complete a total of two drawing components and two interviews via Zoom or Teams. I will arrange a suitable date and time in which we will do the first drawing, followed by an interview with questions about your childhood. After the first interview I will arrange a date and time to conduct the second drawing and interview about your adulthood, all catered to your availability.
If this is something you would like to participate in, please contact me via email at waldronm@uni.coventry.ac.uk
I look forward to hearing from you,
Morgan
FiveInOne
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Perspectives of Child Abuse Survivors: Then and Now

Post by FiveInOne »

I have just done this interview with Morgan and I wanted to let anyone know (who might be considering doing it with her) that the questions are very minimally intrusive and not "scary" at all - you do not have to answer anything that you do not want to or share anything you do not want to. Her aim (to get perspective from survivors/thrivers) is a noble one as apparently most of the "official research/outcomes" from abuse (any type) comes more from "professionals" like pshyciatrists etc and I really like the idea that someone is actively seeking out the viewpoint of those who have survived/thrived from abuse. We did both interviews back to back and it was all done within 45 mins so it is a minimal time commitment and I would encourage you (if you are comfortable and able) to support her in this study.
It's people who want to have sex that are making it happen. It's the people who tell you to "shut up" that are making it happen. It's NOT you. It's NOT your fault. :love4:
KateGladstone

Post by KateGladstone »

I’d like to participate. How do I join your study?

Don’t believe everything you think!
Pigeon
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Pigeon »

KateGladstone wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:44 pm I’d like to participate. How do I join your study?
mailto:waldronm@uni.coventry.ac.uk

Hey Kate, you can email her here 🙂
I'm just a person. I don't have a gender. Please refer to me as a person. 🖤
Just keep swimming 🌊🐟

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”