Experiences of trauma and its impact on peoples’ sense of self

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Experiences of trauma and its impact on peoples’ sense of self

Post by Jamie »

Jake Dorothy wrote:My name is Jake Dorothy and I am a PhD researcher in the Department of Philosophy at the University of York. My work concerns experiences of trauma and its impact on peoples’ sense of self. As part of this research, I am currently seeking participants for an online questionnaire.

What is the research about?
Many people who have been through traumatic events report that their sense of self is affected as a result. For example, some describe feeling like a different person or of being uncertain of who they are. This is an important issue as sense of self plays a key role in how we navigate our lives.
However, it is not yet understood precisely how, and in which ways, trauma impacts on selhood. It is also not known to what extent this is experienced differently among people who have been through complex trauma (usually defined as recurring or long-term trauma caused by another person or people) compared with trauma occurring once.
This research seeks to answer these questions in order to develop a more complete understanding of the effects of trauma and how those with difficulties relating to sense of self might best be helped.

Who is carrying out the research?
This research is being carried out by Jake Dorothy, a PhD student in the Department of Philosophy at the University of York, supervised by Prof. Matthew Ratcliffe and working in collaboration with John Rhodes, Consultant Clinical Psychologist (Nightingale Hospital London).
This research has been subject to ethical review by the University of York's Arts and Humanities Ethics Committee.

Who is invited to take part?
Anyone who has experienced one or more traumatic event/s of any kind may take part, provided that they are aged eighteen or over.

Do I have to take part?
No, participation is optional. If you do decide to take part, you will be asked to complete a consent form. If you change your mind at any point during the study (prior to the publication of any research outputs), you will be able to withdraw your participation without having to provide a reason. You will be assigned an ID at the end of the study which you can quote if you wish to withdraw: please record this safely. You may withdraw by contacting jake.dorothy@york.ac.uk.

What will taking part involve?
Taking part will involve completing two online questionnaires. The first is open-ended and asks about different aspects of experience following trauma. The second is an established clinical questionnaire used to assess difficulties associated with trauma. It is thought that the study will take between 30-60 minutes to complete.

How long do I have to take part?
The study has been granted ethical approval to run until 17 January 2025. However, if 250 responses are reached prior to this date the study will then close.

Who can I contact with any questions?
If you have any questions about participating in this research, please email jake.dorothy@york.ac.uk.
DIVINE
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: Experiences of trauma and its impact on peoples’ sense of self

Post by DIVINE »

Jamie wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:31 pm
Jake Dorothy wrote:My name is Jake Dorothy and I am a PhD researcher in the Department of Philosophy at the University of York. My work concerns experiences of trauma and its impact on peoples’ sense of self. As part of this research, I am currently seeking participants for an online questionnaire.

What is the research about?
Many people who have been through traumatic events report that their sense of self is affected as a result. For example, some describe feeling like a different person or of being uncertain of who they are. This is an important issue as sense of self plays a key role in how we navigate our lives.
However, it is not yet understood precisely how, and in which ways, trauma impacts on selhood. It is also not known to what extent this is experienced differently among people who have been through complex trauma (usually defined as recurring or long-term trauma caused by another person or people) compared with trauma occurring once.
This research seeks to answer these questions in order to develop a more complete understanding of the effects of trauma and how those with difficulties relating to sense of self might best be helped.

Who is carrying out the research?
This research is being carried out by Jake Dorothy, a PhD student in the Department of Philosophy at the University of York, supervised by Prof. Matthew Ratcliffe and working in collaboration with John Rhodes, Consultant Clinical Psychologist (Nightingale Hospital London).
This research has been subject to ethical review by the University of York's Arts and Humanities Ethics Committee.

Who is invited to take part?
Anyone who has experienced one or more traumatic event/s of any kind may take part, provided that they are aged eighteen or over.

Do I have to take part?
No, participation is optional. If you do decide to take part, you will be asked to complete a consent form. If you change your mind at any point during the study (prior to the publication of any research outputs), you will be able to withdraw your participation without having to provide a reason. You will be assigned an ID at the end of the study which you can quote if you wish to withdraw: please record this safely. You may withdraw by contacting jake.dorothy@york.ac.uk.

What will taking part involve?
Taking part will involve completing two online questionnaires. The first is open-ended and asks about different aspects of experience following trauma. The second is an established clinical questionnaire used to assess difficulties associated with trauma. It is thought that the study will take between 30-60 minutes to complete.

How long do I have to take part?
The study has been granted ethical approval to run until 17 January 2025. However, if 250 responses are reached prior to this date the study will then close.

Who can I contact with any questions?
If you have any questions about participating in this research, please email jake.dorothy@york.ac.uk.

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”