Poll - Survivor Meetings

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

Would you go to a Survivors' Group

You may select 1 option

View results

poppet

Re: Poll - Survivor Meetings

Post by poppet »

yes if i know its safe and got someone in charge
lraincloud
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by lraincloud »

I would really like to go to one, but not have to say anything. I think I would feel less alone.
starshinesometimes
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by starshinesometimes »

Having thought about this some more I'm not sure I would go to one now. I feel as though I am quite far on with a lot of the issues that I've had to work through. I think there probably is a right time to do it, when you are used to talking about it a little, but before you are whittling it down to the last few pieces of the healing puzzle. I think that ship might have already sailed for me as its quite specific things that trouble me now. I was referred for a group course but it came up just before I moved back up home so I never went, it was quite daunting though.
chris12

Post by chris12 »

Interesting answers , have got me thinking along the lines of perhaps starting a local group in conjunction with a C if I could find an interested one. Something to look into perhaps in a couple of weeks time. would meet 3 times a month, have a mixed group then an all male group then an all female group maybe. And do some themed sessions some social sessions.well another of my mad ideas.
We spread our wings in search of truth,and all it brings, we got a glimpse of a forgotten dream.
Survival is your strength: not your shame. ts elliot.
Hovisg
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Hovisg »

I said maybe

If I had said yes and you said ok go tomorrow I wouldn't be happy I said yes
But if I said maybe it means I might go if I have time to progress a little more
Or reflect on whether the benefits would outweigh any negatives
For me the negatives are I still want to minimise my situation so still can't help comparing
And I know you can't compare I have said so myself before but if I matched a face to a situation
I think it would make my minimising worse.

Does that make any sense at all? It does in my head to me

Hugs all
Hovis :smurfin:
you never ever give up :cheers:

chris12

Post by chris12 »

Yes it makes sense to me. online it is real but detached , you do not have to be seen , but can be heared have your say. face to face it can be uncomfortable to have a say.As to comparing and trying to minimise what happened to you compared to somone else , every ones experience is differnt even 2 people abused by the same person have different views and experiences . somtimes minimising experiences can be a coping strategy, I do this to some extent now I have got it all out. I think I have got it all out, hope I have. but yet still feel the need to talk about it in a safe enviroment to try and explain,understand and come to terms with it all so it stops doing me harm.Hence having some T and being a member here . I am comfortable talking about some of the issues that survivors face with somone face to face in a safe enviroment and talking in safe groups, as went on the promoting recovery from csa seminar and was ok doing that so for me I would feel that for some topics a supportive well run survivors group would be benifical to attend.But no suitable groups in my area.
We spread our wings in search of truth,and all it brings, we got a glimpse of a forgotten dream.
ramona.green
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ramona.green »

I am going to pledge to myself to look harder and find one in my local area. I cannot afford therapy-- part of my issue with the past abuse I have endured is that I can't get jobs that allow me to pay for one. So I feel as though a group or meeting with a qualified counselor would benefit me greatly.

Thank you.
“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton
chris12

Post by chris12 »

I have taken the plunge today and contacted camalot to apply for a small donation/grant to start a group in my area. Not sure I will get it , but will look elswhere if I do not for the extra financing to start up.I do have a counsellor interested in helping me on an expenses basis.
Smithy
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Smithy »

I would go, but to be honest I would be scared of there being a group who knew each other and I would be alone.
If that happened , the rejection would be very hard for me. I think that I would be more scared of being rejected than anything else. Strange isnt it? :(
ramona.green
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by ramona.green »

In a way it is strange but in another not strange at all, Harriet. Though I would hope that you would feel comfortable talking to the people who knew each other already (or maybe making a friend with another person who doesn't), I feel that being a person who has gone through something different can make a person feel different even in a group of people who have been through the same.
“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton
Smithy
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Smithy »

Hmmmm, thanks for that ramona.green. Thats a good point. Nothing to fear except fear itself. I would certainly give it my best and go. After all, people would be reaching out to help at the end of the day. all best wishes H
Sottovoceone

Post by Sottovoceone »

The primary factor of saying "YES!" is that I am so very tired of hurting and living with the effects of the abuse. It has become cellular and though my recovery began years ago and my progress has been great, I still ache from the effects and frankly, I'm so very tired of it. I'm tired of losing good people in my life.
abbi

Post by abbi »

I voted maybe. FIrst instinct was "noooo way". But I know already that this is my mask talking. Meeting people face to face, in public, wow. Everybody would know what happened to me. Jeesh, that's heavy.
I would go if a councelor is present (in ideal case a counselor who has been abused too in the past), and in small groups. I would not go to a conference. No way, Im sorry :(
I am enough.
onde

Post by onde »

It would depend on how well I was feeling. I find disclosure and any attempts at progressive, healing work absolutely harrowing and knackering

Post by Guest »

I think that perhaps I would go to Survivor Meetings. I like to interact with other people but I would be really nervous about talking about what happened specifically to me. Talking about it makes it seem more real and that's horrible but then again that could be healthier. I suppose part of me still feels guilty and ashamed and I would be afraid of being judged. I do think that either somebody who has experience of abuse and is trained to lead a group or a trained counsellor would be ok. So, basically I'd give it a go but would initially be terrified.

Return to “Poll of the Week”