HAVOCA Wrist Bands

This forum is open to members and guests and allows a straw poll to be taken across the broader sector of all survivors.

Would you want a HAVOCA wrist band?

You may select 1 option

View results

Hovisg
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Re: HAVOCA Wrist Bands

Post by Hovisg »

I would wear one and would love one of Heps bespoke ones :cheers:
I do a bit of beading cos I had a loom for Christmas but no way good enough to make a bracelet, my lines get all puckered. 8)

I keep thinking I should do something like abseil of a building for funds for Havoca :shock:
Maybe I could do a sponsored slim I need to loose at least three stone :oops:
It will be ages before that pays out though :bounce:

I do tell some people about Havoca and left leaflets around in my old workplace :bom:

Hugs all hovis xx :angel8:
you never ever give up :cheers:

Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

Someone knocked on the door the other day asking for a donation to a children's charity - I declained and said I support a similar cause but for adult victims !

I know carrie herself wondered about announcing her cause when raising for Havoca - but like we discussed then - supporting a cause does not automatically mean it's because you have what your supporting !

I wear a poppy and I've never been to war
A desert rat wrist band as my friends son went off to war
A band for hope
And i would equally show my support to an organising supporting victims of abuse - I'm anonymous here and well ....if it generates support, if more people find Havoca - that's gotta be good :)

And I'd wear my hep one with pride also - yay can't wait x
Liz

Post by Liz »

What might have been more helpful ...was if we could have read other people's comments before voting. Sometimes it helps to see the other side of the coin - to weigh up other points of view before leaping in. Now I know other people's views could sway one's decision but I felt a bit like a bulb ie voting in the dark!

I voted No. However, having read other points of view I would probably have voted yes. Sometimes I feel I need other people's points of view to make a more balanced decision and to offer up a point of view I might well have not even considered.

I might even wear such a band and wear it with pride. I think I have come thus far in my journey that I could say what it meant. So...my vote is a YES Jamie.

Liz x
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Anais Nin
claudine

Post by claudine »

Well, i love the idea of an etsy shop. you could have multiple crafts peeps to contribute. But the idea of the wristband is to raise funds and you wouldn't HAVE to wear it. Personalizing would make it more expensive. I know it's a challenge to fundraise for anything but that saying always goes through my head...if everyone gave a lb or a dollar...

Jamie is basically funding the site solo (with the exception of our lovely sponsor's), working the site solo (with the help of our lovely moderator's)..instead of a bracelet, just donate a buck a month. We're all certainly getting our money's worth using this site. ( I suck at fund raising...lol)

No intention of insulting anyone..
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in
Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

Ye I agree about sponsoring - I make sure I do ... But I know other sites do make money from these things -

Challenge sigma ! 200 bands to sell -I reckon I could -

I was thinking also with the beads that people could add a colour for each month harm free - for each month healthy eating - each month getting there - just a nod to your wrist that says yup I've done that ! And maybe with another bead coming its way - with Havoca supporting all the way

I think it could be a nice idea and one where not everyone has to have Havoca on their wrist but some beads knowing they reflect the support given here x x
Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

Members could even buy certain beads as hug equivalent and send them to other members ...

I don't know - but a glow in the dark reminder of here would be fab - zombie proof neon x
abbi

Post by abbi »

claudine wrote:But the idea of the wristband is to raise funds
Raising funds is one thing of course, but another one is the publicity for the cause. And since going out to public and speaking out for this cause for many of us is just too hard (and me being one of them), I thought of etsy as a kind of compromise. It's a popular place for people nowadays, so havoca shop could potentially reach many. And even if they buy or even not, it's enough they stop by and think.

Anyway, I could help Jamie run that shop :mrgreen: I am good at book keeping - that's what paid my master's :mrgreen:
I am enough.
claudine

Post by claudine »

see, now that's the way to say it (I totally suck lol )
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back in
Forlorn Fairy

Post by Forlorn Fairy »

I voted yes to the silicone wristband idea...to raise awareness and sponsor money for HAVOCA.

For me this site has really been a lifeline for me.

I am only starting out on my journey to recovery and many people here have been so supportive and helpful and i really don't believe i would manage right now without HAVOCA.

I did a silmilar thing...had some silicone wristbands made up to raise money and awareness for Douglas Macmillan Cancer and i ordered lots in bulk and sold them all for £1 each :)

Heps beads sound a very :sign7: idea and i would also be happy to pay for these too 8)

I come across many men/women who have been abused as children in my work so if the wristband idea takes off i would definitely be happy to purchase a substantial quantity to sell and to raise awareness to my patients, their family...carers and staff.

:flower:
Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
― A.A. Milne,
Sammie
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sammie »

I voted no. Just not ready to tell the world what happened to me, or even to cope with any questions from friends and family, just all too soon for me.
If the point is to raise money, I think there are better ways, as already suggested.
If the point is to raise awareness, then not much point in people buying them and not wearing them.
I love heps bracelet idea, would definitely buy one and wear it with pride, as only I would know what it meant and I could truthfully say that a friend made it for me. But for me it would symbolise my journey and healing. Love the idea of adding to it as I go along.
"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by" Sun Tzu.
jml
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by jml »

I too make beaded bracelets but I would still buy and wear a wristband from Havoca.

I already wear a wristband from another site which helps self hammers.

I wear a help for heroes wristband for my fellow ex service mates.

The other wristband I wear has the words "loved yesterday, today and all our tomorrows" which I wear to honour my husband.

Jml
ImageImage
I saw the moon landings as they happened and those images and memories helped me when times were bad
tracker

Post by tracker »

I wear my "help for Heroes" wristband all the time and have done since they first came out. No one has ever asked me "what did you do in the war". It will be the same with the Havoca ones, no one will ask. I have a row of five medals on my chest (big chest) and when I wear them, no one want's to know what I got then for. If they do I just say I stuck my neck out a bit further than most. But the pride I get from wearing them is out of this world.

So buy a wristband, wear it with pride and if anyone ask's what its for, tell them its for YOU.

Stay safe

tracker
katy

Post by katy »

I'd happily buy & wear one; and if you need volunteers, would sell- maybe at a festival- food festival- there are loads around the UK in the summer. I'm not far from Bristol but it's not my city, so I'd feel quite anonymous anyway & I think the subject of child abuse (or power abuse towards others in relationships) touches most people's lives & I think therefore you'd find strangers warm & supportive, and would give money. I'm not sure what the bands cost but maybe do a minimum donation of 50p.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

Well I might look into it - I think they cost about £1.20 to make so there wouldn't be any profit in them...unless we sold enough then we could buy in bulk.

Claudine, feel free to look into the etsy thing. I've never heard of it, so over to you :-)
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

Liz wrote:What might have been more helpful ...was if we could have read other people's comments before voting. Sometimes it helps to see the other side of the coin - to weigh up other points of view before leaping in. Now I know other people's views could sway one's decision but I felt a bit like a bulb ie voting in the dark!

I voted No. However, having read other points of view I would probably have voted yes. Sometimes I feel I need other people's points of view to make a more balanced decision and to offer up a point of view I might well have not even considered.

I might even wear such a band and wear it with pride. I think I have come thus far in my journey that I could say what it meant. So...my vote is a YES Jamie.

Liz x
You can change your vote whenever you like :wink: - just re-select the answer you want on the poll.

Return to “Poll of the Week”