EPQ Interviews at Havoca in regards to sexual abuse

This is where you will find calling notices for volunteers, participants and helpers for different projects across the globe. HAVOCA always checks that ethical approval is in place before allowing research to be conducted here. HAVOCA always does its best to try and guarantee the ethical, moral and legal position of the researchers but ultimately it is down to the individual to make sure they feel safe volunteering and taking part in any specific requests. If in doubt ask.
To advertise in this section please contact the Trustee, you will need to provide an outline of the study, ethical approval from an authorised board and a contact number of a relevant supervisor.
NIgirl

Re: EPQ Interviews at Havoca in regards to sexual abuse

Post by NIgirl »

Qweenbee it is perfectly ok to speak up if you aren't happy with a situation. We ourselves are survivors and we aren't impartial to making mistakes.

However if I can just take a moment here and reflect on Jamie's input on this post already...
Jamie wrote:We allow all levels of research to take place as we feel study, promotion and investigation at any level is of a considerable benefit to our plight.
qweenbee wrote:So anyhow I'll respectfully disagree with HAVOCA's decision here. If I find myself ruminating over this, as I tend to do on matters I'm passionate about, I'll contact Jamie for further clarification, thanks for guiding me his way.
I respect that you have spoken up about something you don't agree with or feel passionate about. It is a quality not to feel guilty about. I have alerted Jamie to this particular thread and when he has time I would imagine he will offer his opinion on this matter and perhaps clarify some things.

I hope this helps.

NIgirl x
ImageMember of the Year 2012
Sometimes, it seems impossible, but what we see as impossible is simply something we haven't found the solution to yet. - RAINN
Ó Lá Go Lá - Day by day
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Post by Jamie »

qweenbee wrote: With absolute respect to where this request came from and to HAVOCA's decision to advertise, and acknowledging its' good intention, my personal opinion is that people should not undertake research which falls outside of an ethical approval board of a university or other institution of relevant authority. Certainly not research with the level of sensitivity here-in.
Hi

As previously stated, we ask to see all ethical approval before we advertise research here at HAVOCA.

However, if you still feel uncomfortable about the research then either contact the researcher directly and see what safe guards are in place, or simply don't take part.

Thanks.
Hovisg
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Hovisg »

I think it's natural for us to be suspicious of someone's motivations because we have all been groomed at least once and therefore find it hard to accept that there are people doing genuine things for genuine reasons

It's not easy to place trust in a stranger we don't know but on the reverse side of that we have put trust in our therapists and each other here sharing our insides with other people's outsides

When you can't see someone it's harder still
Always good to question I feel

Hugs all Hovis xx :love1:
you never ever give up :cheers:

RedCrazySky

Post by RedCrazySky »

Dear Ladies/Gentlemen,
I am the researcher behind this topic. I respect and appreciate all your opinions on my research and do believe each one of your arguments is valid.
In order for me to release that statement I did have to do numerous emails with your trustees and I do have a supervisor for my research to ensure that everything I do is of ethical consent. There are people who are going to read through my work to ensure everything is ethical and I have not offended anyone.
An EPQ is an extended project that i chose to do on sexual abuse because I am a victim of sexual abuse myself therefore I do understand all your worries about ethical implications and trust. As a victim myself I wanted to see how others were similarly effected like I was and the way it has as a whole affected todays society. I have updated by title to

'What are the most common mental and physical effects of sexual assault, and what are the most effective therapies to rectify them?'.

I have been going to therapy for over 9 years now and yet I'm still not half way through and like some of you here I have tried countless different treatments to help, with most being unsuccessful. I did this project in order to see how everyone reacted to those treatments and the success rates of those in order to help think of ways to improve the existing ones and help design new ideas. Yes i agree this isn't a university project done by key intellectuals, but this is something that I know the effects of first hand, something i felt passionate about doing and something I felt might (just maybe) help others.
I am extremely sorry if I have offended or hurt anyones feelings in any manner or form as that was not my intention. All i wanted was to just gain some primary data on the issue because my personal experience and some of my friends who went through the same thing was not enough. You do not have to participate if you do not want to but for anyone who doesn't mind please feel free to do so. The whole aim behind the post was to get people to state some of their feelings, effects, well basically anything they felt that i could include or look into. No ones name or anything will be included as this is a private forum with no one using their real identity.
Thank you for all your comments and sorry for the inconvenience caused. I appreciate all the help as well.

RedCrazySky
qweenbee

Post by qweenbee »

Dear RedCrazySky

Thanks so much for writing.

Just wanting to express my deep respect for your reply. I don't want to assume things on your behalf, but I imagine it took some courage to write and send that. I really admire that. I also really admire and relate to your passion for helping others, in a situation by which you are also personally affected.

While our views may be polarised on matters like these (pertaining to this thread), I hope as a community we can still unite in-principle of our shared passion and desire to help each other, and not allow our community relationships to be compromised even where our views are polarised.

It is a strength within HAVOCA that we have a diverse community who can freely express their views in a safe forum and I am very grateful for that. It is also a strength that we look out for each other and hold concern for situations where we may have unintentionally caused each other concern. I am also very grateful for that too. I thank everyone for their unique contribution to this community.

All the best to you RedCrazySky, likewise I hope I have not hurt your feelings, if so it was not intentional.
Best wishes
Qweenbee
Sigma
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Sigma »

I did this project in order to see how everyone reacted to those treatments and the success rates of thos

http://www.havoca.org/havoca-survey/hav ... y-results/

There are results on the main site pertaining to your question, the link is above.

I don't think you will have offended anyone :)

However, I have to be honest, I'm in a bit of a puzzle, trying to work out what my feelings are in this, I think it's boundaries actually, they feel blurred. I think .... I'm unsure. Though I have felt a strong enough reaction. Ah well ... Shall ponder that away ;) that's not you, it's a me !

Hope the link is useful
RedCrazySky

Post by RedCrazySky »

Thank you Sigma and qweenbee for your comment and I do appreciate them.
I do understand were you are coming from in terms of the boundaries being blurred.
I also want to say no one has hurt my feelings and I do respect all your comments.
So thank you. :)

Return to “Research/Studies/Projects”