Online Survivors Group

This is where staff will post news about events that are taking place.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Online Survivors Group

Post by Jamie »

Group Organiser wrote:A new group is available online - it's global since it's online, it could be especially important for people living somewhere remote without local groups.
Here is some description of the group:
There is no fee, it's like an AA group - people can contribute to support the group needs if they want/can.
It's a adult survivors of childhood abuse (any kind) support group with focus on recovery.
The only limitation for participants is the meeting is only for non abusing survivors, i.e. if they survivor is an abuser him/herself, have impulse control issues etc at the moment the program can't really help them, first they need to stop/deal with that.
Group happens every Sunday at 19:00 London time, we have a website: http://sundayasca.000webhostapp.com/ , contact email is sundayasca@zoho.eu
This is based on the ACSA methodology that we blogged about at the beginning of the year.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Re: Online Survivors Group

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Just had a look at the introduction and I really like what I see. It's based on a 21 step psychology grounded approach to recovery with stages of acceptance through to healing.

It was recently suggested to me (foolishly) that the 12 step program for AA and narcotics, would "incorporate" recovery and treatment for any childhood trauma that caused later addiction. Well, bully for you if you can find that in N.A.! I couldn't. I just stopped that drug crap myself and am ready to tackle what's caused it. I care not for calling myself a lifelong powerless broken addict.

No, I am an entirely blameless survivor of an unforgivably violent extremely traumatic sexual assault when I was a child (by an adult abuser of unmatched intelligence, strength and power,) who needs to live without feeling responsible or scared, now he remembers the truth, and who needs reassurance that it's not still happening. That's my priority.

In agreement with its philosophy, I've always had problems with 12 step recovery groups, in particular "surrender to a higher power" and the premise that one has to take responsibility for problems, both are 180 degrees opposed to our needs as survivors. In the former, that's what we were made to do and it hurt us, in the latter, we need to stop taking responsibility, not start.

Further, I seek a recovery program or therapy based on science and psychology, as this indeed appears to be, not the unquestiobable religion that is the 12 steps.

This looks very promising. It's face to face, anonymous, and online.

The "list of feeling words" in the ASCA introduction PDF looks great - I will start borrowing words from that soon! Expand the vocabulary!

Video conference with first names only via Zoom at 7pm GMT each Sunday.

Im interested!
🦁W a s : a c t n o r m a l
I may (and often do) edit my replies in the permitted 1hr window.
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
ImageMember Of The Year 2020 | 🤗It’s not your fault🤗
Jaydee
HAVOCA Sponsor
HAVOCA Sponsor

Post by Jaydee »

This sounds really interesting. I’m just wondering is it possible to do this course via my iPhone. How would that work. Via text?
Every sunrise heralds a new day and a new beginning
Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'm possible. Audrey Hepburn
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

I saw it needs to have a program installed, called Zoom.US.

I've just put Zoom on my iPhone from the App Store so I'm hoping it will be the right version, and that it's allowed.

Going by the website jamie linked to, I don't see why not. Annoying though.....it doesn't give a how-to for phones, not one that I could find .
We are all made of stardust. Every piece of you and I was created in the final moments of an exploding star, somewhere out there.
veneziak

Post by veneziak »

>This sounds really interesting. I’m just wondering is it possible to do this course via my iPhone. How would that work. Via text?

Hi, i am attending this group actually, it's an audio-video conference, and yes it will work with an iPhone. It is up to you if you want to switch your video on or not.
Last edited by veneziak on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
veneziak

Post by veneziak »

>I saw it needs to have a program installed, called Zoom.US.
>I've just put Zoom on my iPhone from the App Store so I'm hoping it will be the right version, and that it's allowed.
>Going by the website jamie linked to, I don't see why not. Annoying though.....it doesn't give a how-to for phones, not one that I could find .

Thanks for pointing this out, i will pass it on to the person who deals with the website. Please do not worry about the technical side of the conference - i think at least three people join with their iPhone every call without a problem.
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

Wow thanks Veneziak
I think we have ourselves a living breathing support group!!!!
FORGOTTEN

Post by FORGOTTEN »

actnormal wrote:

> Further, I seek a recovery program or therapy based on science and psychology, as this indeed appears to be, not the unquestiobable religion
> that is the 12 steps.
>
> This looks very promising. It's face to face, anonymous, and online.
>
> The "list of feeling words" in the ASCA introduction PDF looks great - I will start borrowing words from that soon! Expand the vocabulary!
>
> Video conference with first names only via Zoom at 7pm GMT each Sunday.
>
> Im interested!

I agree with my bud ActNormal I'd like this as well. I often wonder why I survived. I shouldn't have.
OGD95

Post by OGD95 »

Hi there, I know this post is a couple years old.
But I was wondering, as there aren't any local support groups in my area for abuse survivors; is this group still going on Sundays? please let me know

Thanks!! :)
Coeur de Lion
Moderator on Holiday

Post by Coeur de Lion »

I believe it was quite busy about a year ago. I didn't make the leap though. I couldn't advise on whether it's still active. I should expect it's still going. You could have a look on their website.

Also, the directory of support resources on Havoca's main website has lots of listings for organisations which are otherwise hard-to-find online.
borderlinegirl

Post by borderlinegirl »

Hey!
Thank you for all the replies.
I’m interested in this one that is Sunday’s at 7pm but the link isn’t working for me?
Staystrong888

Post by Staystrong888 »

Im interested in this too...
Does anyone know of any online support groups where you can actually speak?
Staystrong888

Post by Staystrong888 »

borderlinegirl wrote:
> Hey!
> Thank you for all the replies.
> I’m interested in this one that is Sunday’s at 7pm but the link isn’t
> working for me?

Try:
http://www.ascasupport.org/events.php

Theres a list of support groups on their website.

Return to “Announcements”