Photographs - Security

Section for general notices concerning this forum.
Jamie
Trustee
Trustee

Photographs - Security

Post by Jamie »

A member has brought to my attention that people are uploading pictures to this forum which still have their Metadata attached.

Metadata can contain location information. For example, if you havent disabled the function on your mobile phone, then every time you take a snap, lots of information, including the GPS coordinates of the photo, are saved as part of the image.

If you arent aware if your photos contain this detail then viewing EXIF data in Windows is easy. Just right-click on the photo in question and select “Properties”. Click on the “Details” tab and scroll down—you'll see all kinds of information about the camera used, and the settings the photo was taken with.

There are two main ways to remove the details.

1. Set up your camera, phone, tablet etc not to save your location in the first instance
or
2. Open the folder containing your image files.
Select all the files you want to delete EXIF metadata from.
Right-click anywhere within the selected fields and choose “Properties.”
Click the “Details” tab.
At the bottom of the “Details” tab, you’ll see a link titled “Remove Properties and Personal Information.” Click this link.
Windows will ask whether you want to make a copy of the photo with this information removed, or if you want to remove the information from the original. Choose the option you prefer and click “OK.”

Alternatively there are third party apps and programs that will remove these details for you.

If you are worried about images that you have posted on the forum then please let me, or a Mod, know which ones (with a link to the post) and we will remove the picture for you.

For more information I use the Norton Security Website

Feel free to ask any questions

Jamie

Return to “Notice Board”