Our Victim Services Program provides non-clinical help to adult and mature youth male victims of sexual assault, survivors of childhood physical and sexual abuse. Our professionally-trained Victim Services Coordinator, Frances Strauss, can offer you emotional support and can give you information about legal matters such as reporting abuse to the police. She can also help set up counselling sessions for men who want to share their feelings with one of our professional counsellors. Frances has over 10 years of experience in victim services.
Victim Support Services Include:
- Providing program information to prospective new clients.
- Conducting intake sessions with new clients to ascertain their needs relative to the Victim Services Program
- Referring clients to other services where appropriate.
- Ensuring that clients in crisis are referred to appropriate support, e.g. therapist, family doctor, hospital, as soon as possible.
- Providing information to clients, general and case-specific about the criminal justice system as per the Victims of Crime Act and providing support to victims throughout their participation in the justice process.
- Providing service and support to victims who choose not to engage in the justice system.
- Assisting in completing forms such as those required for the Crime Victim Assistance Program and Victim Impact Statements, and guidance through the process.
Our counsellors meet one-on-one with men who have experienced sexual abuse or other trauma. Sessions are for one hour and are usually scheduled weekly, but can change based on the individual needs of the client. In some cases, counselling may be funded by provincial compensation or other third-party coverage. Some men may also qualify for a sliding scale.
Individual therapy may be covered, for those who qualify, by the Crime Victim Assistance Program, Residential Historical Abuse Program (RHAP), or other third-party coverage. Others may qualify for therapy on a sliding scale basis.
For more information call 381-MENS (6367) or visit our contact page.
Group Counselling sessions are available when there are enough men interested to start a group. Men may participate in as many cycles of group as they wish.
For more information about fees and start dates, please call 381-MENS(6367) or visit our contact page.
Support for Partners/Significant Others
Counselling for partners is available on a short-term basis. Support groups for partners and significant others are offered from time to time as needed.
The Men’s Trauma Centre is located on Pandora Ave. between Cook and Vancouver Streets in downtown Victoria. It is close to major bus routes and there is 90 minute free parking nearby.
Men’s Trauma Centre
102 – 1022 Pandora Ave.
Victoria, BC V8V 3P5
Telephone: (250) 381-MENS (6367)
Toll Free: 1-866-793-6367
Fax: (250) 381-3679