Find a therapist

Find a therapist

havoca find a therapistIf you need help to find a therapist then please use our therapy section to walk through the process.  Alternatively you can use the links below to dive straight in and discover who offers relevant services near you.
One of our members has written a personal guide to counselling/therapy which can be found here.

It is advisable to speak to several when trying to find a therapist, or alternatively contact them via email if this is possible.


Counselling Directory

BACP Find a Therapist


Psychology Today

Practice Central


If you have any questions feel free to contact us.

25 Responses to Find a therapist

  1. abdoul says:

    I am a father of 3 children and I was abuse when I was a child. However I didn’t want to talk about it. I went to see a professional last Thursday who help me by giving some advice. I want to escape to the reality by sleeping to much. I am lying to myself. I don’t want to see the problem, I am out of the reality. I want to talk to express my feeling and to empty my head about all the bad thought.
    I would to know what is the best therapy for me.
    Thank you

    • HAVOCA says:

      There are lots of different types of therapy. Choosing the best approach for you can be an extremely daunting task. Our section on therapy provides a quick overview of what different types of therapy are available. This may give you an idea what each different type is about and which ones seem more appropriate for your individual case.

      If you are still left confused then the easiest way to think about therapy is by looking at the three main types.

      Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)

      CBT focuses on changing incorrect/dysfunctional emotions and behaviours through goal-orientated and/or task-based work. In other words it tries to change negative thinking in order to change behavioural patterns. It follows a structured model, with techniques and concepts being presented during each session. A CBT therapist will not direct you but they will lead you through a process and show you different options for your unique case.

      CBT can be useful for

      Anxiety disorders
      Eating disorders

      CBT is generally short and isn’t always concerned with the root cause but just looks at fixing the affects of any known issues.

      Psychodynamic Therapy

      This therapy focuses on the past and any conflicts that exist between the conscious and unconscious mind. Central to this approach are childhood experiencee. The therapy delves into the past, looking at recurring themes, patterns of behaviour, development and interpersonal relationships.

      This approach to therapy has a wide range of applications, for example, anxiety disorders and depression

      The therapy is much longer work and can take months/years before the client is ready to move on.

      Person-Centred Therapy

      This approach focuses on the therapeutic relationship formed between the counsellor and client with the therapist aiming to provide that person with an environment and opportunity to develop a sense of self. Devised by Carl Rogers and also called “client-centred” or “Rogerian” counselling, this is based on the assumption that an individual (client), seeking help in the resolution of a problem he (or she) is experiencing, can enter into a relationship with another individual (counsellor) who is sufficiently accepting and permissive to allow the client to freely express emotions and feelings. This will enable the client to come to terms with negative feelings, which may have caused emotional problems, and develop inner resources. The objective is for the client to become able to perceive himself as a person, with the power and freedom to change, rather than as an object.

      Person-centred therapy is a widely used in:

      Low self-esteem
      Relationship issues
      Body-image issues

      The client generally determines when the work ends and this can be as long or as short as is necessary.

      Choosing a type

      Hopefully this gives you a brief insight and has helped you understand a little more clearly about a ‘best’ approach for you as an individual. My best advice would be to have a general consultation with a therapist who is trained in several disciplines and get them to help you to decide on a ‘best approach.’

      Having said all of that the most important aspect of therapy is having a strong relationship with your therapist. So choose someone you can work with and then decide on the approach you’d like them to take. Finally, if it doesn’t work after a few sessions either change your approach, change your therapist or change both.

      Feel free to join our forums and discuss your concerns with other survivors who have had exactly the same dilemma as you.

    • Bro says:

      Abdoul, I am also a victim of child abuse. I excape through drinking alcohol and I no longer want to excape reality. I wanted to reach out to you because I have a cousin named Abdul. I was raised by a strict and violent Muslim father that in his culture, abuse us ok…well it’s not…and I am just starting to seek help for a better life for me and my son….832-231-2060… Feel free to call, text anytime…don’t hold your pain in and speak to your creator and give him a chance to work in your life…God bless you and your family my brother!

  2. Clemon Youngblood says:

    I’m looking for a therapist. I’m an adult survivor of child abuse and I need help because those experiences are detrimentally affecting my present relationships

  3. Clemon Youngblood says:

    My Postal Code is 70501

  4. Dawn hudson says:

    I’m a victim of child sexual abuse and need help with my emotions I’m a mum and I need help to talk about what happened life is hard

  5. Joyce High says:

    I have been abused by my family members since I could walk…..I blocked out somethings but a long time friend of mine says that He believe we were molested by two adults at the age of 7&13 yrs old…….I have moments i can recall some details but not sure if my mind is playong tricks on me…….To make matters worse one of the guys is now babysitting my Granddaughter & is a registered sex offender but aggravated…..What advice can you give me? Im lost hurt and my family thinks im making it all up????? Help me please

    • HAVOCA says:

      First and foremost, a registered sex offender can not babysit children, unless there are certain conditions to his offence and why he was registered. You should seek legal help immediately.

      Secondly, recovering from abuse is a very unique journey. We would recommend seeking professional help for the long term and perhaps joining our forums in the interim. Its a good place to start and will help you plan your recovery.

  6. Mrs Carol Wells says:

    Could you please send me details of some counsellors in Sheffield/Chesterfield area who specialize in helping adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse to move on?

    • HAVOCA says:

      Your best bet is to use our search function with your post code. That will present you with the available therapists in your area. We would recommend phoning/contacting each one and use that contact to decide if you would like to work with them. Remember, choosing a therapist is exactly that = its a choice. Your choice.

  7. Jo says:

    I’m still not sure which kind of therapy suits me. Rogers or psycho dynamic. Maybe a combination of the two. I am not comfortable actually talking about my abuse but have supposedly done well with writing with an online counselor. I can’t afford much and only somewhat supported in this endeavor as long as it doesn’t require them to change their ways only mine.

  8. strong says:

    I’m just really confused I have been strong my whole life and thought if I push these feeling down to depths of hell I would rise above it but lately they have crepted up and I’m losing some of my control.

    • lorraine sandra stewart says:

      strong – it doesnt mean your not strong, it seems to be the nature of it, it can lie dormant for some of us, buried, i’ve been told it comes up to be processed

    • AL says:

      Don’t allow a predator to define you. You define yourself and seek professional help. Don’t let another day of your precious life go by. Easier said then done but I was also abused by a family member at the age of 7. Growing up I was fortunate to have supportive and loving parents. I know they weren’t at fault, or me, to have this happen. They trusted family. I’ve never told anyone but my mind and my heart knew at a young age I didn’t ask for such maltreatment. I am a strong person and because of it I am incredibly sensitive to the pain of others who go through this. It’s frustrating and sad to see victims suffer all their lives for the terrible actions of others. I have a very special place in my heart for you and everyone who still suffers but know that I acknowledged what happened, i didn’t ask for this, I should’ve never been ashamed by it, the perpetrators should be the ones to carry that torch to hell. Please take small steps if you have to but take action. Life is too precious and too short to waste.

      • Sharon says:

        I would like help but I live in Antigua. I know therapy is hard work for the therapist but with my salary it would be stifling to pay huge sums of money for a session. I would have to buy the USD. Is there any counsellor who offers contributions or how may I get on a forum to interact with other survivors? When I read the pyschological jargan it scares the hell out of me. I am afaird I will go crazy and that is the last thing I would want. Feel helpless. Especially with people who tell me to get over it. It has been a long time. Really feel ashamed and am full of resistance.this makes me think that I am an innate evil person. So many people I talked to did not hate God and was willing to forgive the perpatrator in ashort time. I have a disassociate disorder and am full of fear unimaginable.

  9. Celia Mendes says:

    Hi i had suffer sexual abuse and my daughter to from her dad my ex .
    I am trying to find a good teraphy for my daughter.

  10. Mary says:

    I am wondering if my great niece has been abused. She is only 6 and has been suspended from school for behavior reasons. I don’t know what else it could be. They live in Casselberry Fl. Do you know of a therapist in the area she could see? They have no insurance. We are trying to find a reason for her behavior.

  11. Whendee says:

    I am an adult and i live in northern WI. My abuse started when i was between 7 and 8 years of age and continued until i was 19. These heinous events were perpetrated by step family members. I need help and i do not have insurance, even though i hold multiple college degrees, i find myself unable to move forward. I do not love myself and when i force myself to look in the mirror, i feel worthless. The abuse ended years ago, and all abusers are dead now, but i literally replay it in my head like flashbacks every single day of my life. Most days i feel like im nothing.

  12. Christina LOUISE Batz says:

    I was sexual abuse by my step-dad for years about 20 something I try to live my life now happy and content but my relationship with my fiance has been a little hard cause I still have a lot of anger and hatred for what happened and it’s putting a toll on our relationship. I want to let it all out and just move on with my life and be happy an I think by talking with a therapist might help.

  13. Eva says:

    I was abused as a child by a family member.
    I did not realise it but for years, most of my adult life, my relationships have been effected.
    I am insecure, angry, suffer from low self esteem and have trust issues.
    I have huge guilt as I feel I was not a very loving mother , I was either angry, stressed or worried … seeing danger towards my children everywhere.
    My life has been a rocking and unstable boat.
    I thought numbing or zoning out was normal untill a friend pointed out it was obvious when I zoned out and it was strange and not normal
    I do it at least 3 times a week, it feels safe and pleasant to me , but it can come on at anytime
    Driving , talking to someone or when I bc am working. I like drifting into the numbness but I feel bc wired and useless and strange when I manage to snap out of it. I have learned to stamp my feet to bring myself back to earth
    Ii would like to find a therapist who can help and I bc woukd also like to be part of research so I can help other survivors of childhood sexual abuse as I have no problem talking about my abuse or the effects it has had on me as an adult , a daughter , a partner and a mother

    • lis says:

      Totally understand where you are coming from, same happened to me with a family member. I now cant trust anyone, especially when I’m in a relationship, starts off great then i need constant reassurance, if my partner becomes distant i panic and get needy. I get angry, my moods swing and i zone out and have trouble concentrating, i have been diagnosed with adhd

Leave a comment - please note HAVOCA does not provide direct support via these comments. If you would like support please use our contact form or forums. Please use a name you are comfortable sharing online.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.