I’m sorry our FAQ Page isn’t currently working.

Who runs HAVOCA?

HAVOCA is run by volunteers, the majority of whom are survivors of child abuse in one form or another. To find out more about the team click here.

Back To Top

How is HAVOCA funded?

HAVOCA is a self funded organisation which means we survive from donations either privately made by individuals or public donations from organisations and/or groups.

What we need money for:-

  • Maintain this website with its breadth of helpful information and links to many other sites (which are constantly changing)
  • Add new articles and current information, and maintain our new pages
  • Provide links to discussion forums, online peer support groups, and chat forums, serving as a “lifeline” of support to many survivors and their families
  • Provide support via email to survivors/victims and their support networks
  • Assist survivors and their families with helpful contacts and information
  • Aid professionals and victim advocates through fostering an environment where they can confer with one another, and aggressively work to grow this online community
  • Provide resources for professionals, churches, and other institutions
  • Help increase the visibility of other survivor groups to assist them in their efforts to help survivors and/or professionals
  • Educate the general public about child abuse, and be an advocate for social change in addressing these issues
  • Provide information services to the media
  • Legislative child abuse work
  • Coordinate volunteer efforts
  • Monitor relevant news stories and send them out as Media Updates to subscribers
  • Publish our quarterly eNewsletter
  • Organize conferences/retreats
  • Web hosting / Email hosting costs
  • Technical and administrative support
  • Publications, printing, and postage
  • Utilities
  • Supplies

To donate or learn more please follow this link

Back To Top

Can I volunteer to help?

We are always keen to hear from people who are willing and able to help.

We don’t offer any formal paid employment only volunteer positions that include;

  • Moderator of the forum
  • Website technical assistants
  • Article submissions
  • Content submissions
  • General volunteering positions
  • Fund raisers

Generally volunteers have been a part of the organisation in a membership capacity on the forums before they are taken on with a more formal role.  This enables them to build up a level of trust with us and reflect on whether becoming a volunteer is the right thing for them.

If you feel you have something to offer, or would like to get more involved, feel free to contact us.

Back To Top

Who is an Adult Survivor of Child Abuse?

Any adult who was either physically, sexually, emotionally, psychologically abused as a child is a survivor of childhood abuse.

The majority of statistics on this website refer to the abuse of children under the age of 18. Sadly child abuse occurs in all communities, ethnic backgrounds, religions, cultures, and social and economic classes, and is experienced by both males and females.

What is abuse?

Was I abused?

Back To Top

I am under 18 and I have suffered from abuse, how can I get help?

I’m sorry HAVOCA specifically caters for adults who have been abused.

Although HAVOCA does acknowledge and recognise abuse and it’s effects to those younger than 18, HAVOCA is not set up to deal with supporting that age bracket.

There are organisations and groups that are tailored towards supporting the under 18 age group.

Some of these can be found here:

havoca nspcc



havoca stop it now

Back To Top

What is abuse?

If you are like most people you may think abuse is physical violence – having force used against you, having bones broken, being attacked, punched or kicked. This is true of course, but other types of abuse exist which are as bad as, and can be worse than, physical violence. There are four types of child abuse; physical, sexual, psychological, physical and emotional neglect. Although listed as five distinct categories they all over lap…..

Read more

Back To Top

Was I abused as a child?

One of the biggest problems facing adults who were victims of child abuse is denial. As children we probably dealt with the abuse by dissociating ourselves from the situation, and therefore have been in denial ever since.

So, how do you know if you were abused?

Back To Top

Do you run support groups?

HAVOCA is an online organisation. As such we do not run support groups, one to one services and we don’t offer a telephone service.

Back To Top

Is there a support group in my area?

We keep a database of support groups and survivors organisations. You can search our database here. It makes much more sense for you to search the map yourself, looking for suitable places, rather than asking us to search on your behalf.  This allows you to select alternative venues depending on your location and circumstances.  If there isn’t an organisation or group in your area then I’m afraid that means there are none on our database for your area.

Back To Top

Can you recommend a therapist?

We link to several therapist databases that you can use to find a therapist.  The links to all of those places can be found here.  It makes much more sense for you to search the database yourself by entering your location. Please don’t ask us to search on your behalf.  This allows you to select alternative therapists depending on your location and circumstances.  If there isn’t a therapist or counsellor in your area then I’m afraid that means there are none on our database for your area.

There are specific types of issues that therapists advertise as their ‘speciality’. For example, depression, anxiety, bereavement etc.  This is because these issues are extremely prevalent in our society and lots of studies have been done to prove the effectiveness of counselling in these areas.  Psychological issues that fall outside of these norms don’t feature as heavily in a therapist’s resume by the sheer nature of their uniqueness.  That doesn’t mean a therapist can’t (or won’t) employ normal methods to help deal with the issue.  Countless studies show that therapy – which teaches patients strategies and tools to manage and resolve unhealthy behaviours and thoughts – is effective for treating a whole range of psychological issues.

By seeking a therapist who specialises in a niche field dramatically reduces the catchment pool of potential individuals, when in reality most, if not all, therapists would be able to help.

However, finding the right therapist for you (rather than your specific condition/issue) can be daunting. Perhaps an even bigger challenge is trying to decide which type of therapy you should receive. There are countless therapists, not to mention myriad schools of thought in psychology. All too often, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the options.

Our therapy section offers lots of advice to help unravel the apparent plethora of decisions.  We also have a search facility which allows you to search for therapists in your area using your post or zip code.

After you’ve narrowed your choices to a handful of mental health professionals – we recommend scoping out at least three before making a final decision – you should feel them out via phone or an initial consultation to see whether their personality and skills mesh with your needs. You’ll get a ‘gut’ feeling about someone before proceeding.  You could be working with them for a long time so it’s worth making sure you at least ‘like’ them.  Finally, don’t forget, you can always walk away from a therapist if after a few sessions it doesn’t work out.  Like any service, you can always vote with your feet.

Back To Top

Can you provide financial assistance?

No, I’m afraid not.  We are a not for profit voluntary organisation. Any funds we receive are used to keep the website and services running.  We are unable to offer financial assistance for therapy, relocation or legal support. 

Back To Top

We are a voluntary organisation and as such are run by volunteers. Although some of us have experience in the legal arena we just aren’t permitted to provide official legal advice.  However, we are teamed up with the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL).


The Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL) is an association set up for the benefit of victims, lawyers, experts and other professionals involved in the field of obtaining compensation for the physical, sexual or emotional abuse of children and adults abused in childhood.

Find out more by following this link: http://www.childabuselawyers.com/survivors

Back To Top

Do we provide one to one support?

No, we are an online organisation and don’t offer any face to face or telephone services.

Back To Top

If your question isn’t in the list please contact us.

Leave a comment - please note HAVOCA does not provide direct support via these comments. If you would like support please use our contact form or forums. Please use a name you are comfortable sharing online.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.